reaction to coming out as an atheist

Published April 11th, 2007 by Bobby Henderson

This video is kinda funny, kinda sad.  The kid videotaped his “coming out” as an atheist, and the Catholic mother does take it well, to say the least.  I bet that she would have been less upset if he had converted to Pastafarianism.

[youtube]P8Aq00yJSxo[/youtube]

115 Responses to “reaction to coming out as an atheist”

1. Mike Meier says:

I think maybe the mom nailed it as to the real reason her religion is still here, and how the message changes to “reach” each generation. She basically said to the kid – if you believe in godd, then you’ll get presents, but if you don’t believe in godd, you won’t get any presents (I hear Pink Floyd in the back of my head somewhere), so which is it presents or no presents? (Translation, mommy won’t love you anymore if you don’t believe in godd. That’s the really sad part.) I wonder if she’d go as far as to intercept and hide presents other friends and family members give to the kid.

2. ~Wooble~ says:

I am brand new so hi everybody! I think it would have been cool to see the rest of the video though. It was very interesting. I’m glad my parents arent like that. I’m not religous though, as much as spiritual. Good wishes to ya man, and may His Noodly Appendage touch you.

3. Rowdy Wench says:

@ Wobble – Welcome and RAmen! Come back and play often! We have all sorts here…I too am not religious but spiritual. We have atheists, deists…it’s great!

Must dash…

4. Navigator Spider says:

Wobble, welcome aboard, please note the emergency exits here, here, and here. Grog and pasta is served all day. There is no dress code (although pirate rig is always welcome) and feel free to jump in the discussions (well arguments sometimes…)

5. Wench Nikkiee says:

~Wooble~
    I’ll third the last two posts :)
    Like your tag too :)

6. Randi says:

I wonder what his mom would have said if he replied to the “no presents for xmas” thing with, “Well, in all actuality, Christmas was a pagan holiday that Christians decided to take over because everyone had more fun celebrating that over God.”

7. CastleArrrrgh says:

No presents? Mom, are you telling me that the great man that I’ve believed in all these years actually doesn’t exist? There’s…no…Santa?

C’mon, Mom. How am I supposed to just change my mind about something as fundamental as that?

8. retards says: