Religious Discrimination

Published March 29th, 2007 by Bobby Henderson

Bryan Killian, a high school student in North Buncombe, North Carolina was suspended for coming to school dressed as a pirate.

But the disciplinary action has provoked controversy – because the student says that the ban violates his rights, as the pirate costume is part of his religion.

Read about it in the Metro or the Citizen-Times.

This story is blowing up and I’ve been having a lot of problems keeping the server running. It’s currently #1 on Digg and Reddit.

I’ll have some updates and more information about all this soon.

348 Responses to “Religious Discrimination”

1. Rowdy Wench says:

@ Retartds – Your argument is well phrased, articulate, and polite. Thank you for that! We appreciate posts like that on this site (at least I do). I would just like to point out that the truth is only the truth from a certain point of view. Your truth about communion is valid, and so is mine. Also, “one who preys on others” from your pirate description could be used to describe a huge number of ministers/priests/imams etc. Or, just Catholicsm in general (I was raised Catholic so I know at least something about it) which was essentially created in the 3rd century AD for the specific purposes of creating Constantine’s empire.
    Again, thanks for your post.

2. Pastafarians sell to minors! says:

The young prophet shall spread the sauce thick with his piratic propaganda! Media brainwashing mwahaha! If you can’t beat em, join em!

3. Greg says:

Usually, schools enact certain rules to follow. Some rules require that the student(s) do not wear anything out of the norm to the extent that it would detract attention from the usual school activities.

He may be justified by saying that it’s his religion, but it goes to show how pure blatant ignorance and disregard for foolishness can “harm” people.

Having a smirk on your face while dressing in a pirate suit to “combat the forces of religion” will not get you anywhere. Doing something productive might help.

4. Nick says:

This is a serious issue and anybody who thinks differently should really educate themselves a little bit better.
    The school is certainly in the wrong here. Why is it okay to infringe on the religious rights of this student? Simply because they are not widely believed? I’ll play devil’s advocate for a second and say that the school is in the right. If that is the case then all children wearing crosses, a yamika or anything else related to any other religion should also be suspended from school, as this seems only fair. Truly what is going on in this country? I know that most of us see that horrible things that happen, and yet it continues. Truly this kind of thing sickens me: to live in the “land of the free”…
    You are free as long as you believe what everybody else does, or if you have money and influence.

Truly a sad state of affairs.
    My heart goes out to you.

5. Nick says:

I just posted, but I have to post again, I am sure someone has already covered this but I don’t have the time to read every post and in case it was left out I feel it needs to be said.
    Setting aside everything to do with religion or the stifling thereof.

It’s an eye patch.
    that’s it, just an eye patch.
    So it’s a little bit different from the norm.
    It’s a little weird, and well just plain different.
    I was always told that it was people’s differences that make us special and make this world so great. I was told this by teachers, parents, friends, partners, nearly anybody that I can think of.
    Yet public school’s do their best to stifle creativity
    They do their best to breed our youth to never question anything.
    All they are really trying to do is fit you into a mold so you’ll be a good worker drone that never starts any problems.
    Think of the greatness that the world would have already missed out on had “different” and “strange” people been stifled as much as our youth is today in this country.

And it makes me want to vomit.

6. Pastafarian x says:

Personally, I think that it was a great idea!! As people have already said, it’s just an eye patch, there should be no problem with it. It’s just like christians wearing cross necklaces, nobody has a problem with that do they?? I think that the school is COMPLETELY discriminating our religion. I’d also just like to say Brian Wilde “Everytime I’ve seen him, he’s not once had the eye patch on” he doesn’t HAVE to wear the eye patch ALL the time & you probably don’t see him THAT often, seeing as he isn’t YOUR friend. Also “This is ridiculous and I agree with the school 100%”- by this, you are saying that you agree with the discrimination!! Anyway, I better go before I get carried away lol. Ramen xx

7. noodley says:

RAmen to everything here!
    iv been following pastafarianism for a while now but iv never really said anything about it…til now…first off i agree with all those who are on the side of Bryan. he shold be commended for his bravery. you shouldn’t be embarrassed for your religion. in my school, all “headgear” is banned except that which is prescribed by religion (to quote the morning announcements) :) the rules are broken for religion then there is no limit. if they can only allow religious hats then the can allow anything that is a religious symbol. specifically in this case pirate regalia…

iv finally found my religious niche

RAmen