Religious Discrimination

Published March 29th, 2007 by Bobby Henderson

Bryan Killian, a high school student in North Buncombe, North Carolina was suspended for coming to school dressed as a pirate.

But the disciplinary action has provoked controversy – because the student says that the ban violates his rights, as the pirate costume is part of his religion.

Read about it in the Metro or the Citizen-Times.

This story is blowing up and I’ve been having a lot of problems keeping the server running. It’s currently #1 on Digg and Reddit.

I’ll have some updates and more information about all this soon.

348 Responses to “Religious Discrimination”

1 38 39 40 41 42 44
  1. Kaxisomo says:

Hes not alone my school tryed to suspend me for 4 days for dressing like a pirate but once i thrented to call the ACLU they decided it was better to let me go.
    I support you fully Bryan!!

2. Jingles says:

Um hey… did any of you guys get an email about some lady they’re trying to canonize over in Europe? I kinda glanced through it before condemming it to spam, but I was wondering if it might be a result of posting my email here…
    Alchemist, PP-off, or anyone else in the disciples that has posted an address here… any help?

3. Pixel Pop says:

WTF? I could have sworn I just made a post!

4. Peter Popoff says:

Send it to me, Pixely!

5. Rowdy Wench says:

@ Pixely – Hi! Can’t stay, but wanted to let you know that I have trouble with some of my posts not going as well. I have started copying everything before I click on Submit just in case. Sometimes they end up going twice…but at least I don’t lose stuff any more.
    Too bad on the fundy – he might have learned something! Good try though, Hero!

6. Alchemist says:

@Jingles – yup, I got that one too – so did Peter. Hahahaha :)

7. Cottura 5 Minuti says:

Has anyone seen this? At 49mins Richard Dawkins, the prominent scientist-atheist, admits that “we might all be wrong about the flying spaghetti monster”. Clearly touched by the noodly appendage. I see him wearing the full pirate regalia any day now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR_z85O0P2M
    To be honest, don’t watch this clip. Watch in stead part 1 of the same session, which is much more humourous in addition to being somewhat educational as well. If you are bored and have 30 minutes to fill that is.

1 38 39 40 41 42 44