Religious Discrimination

Published March 29th, 2007 by Bobby Henderson

Bryan Killian, a high school student in North Buncombe, North Carolina was suspended for coming to school dressed as a pirate.

But the disciplinary action has provoked controversy – because the student says that the ban violates his rights, as the pirate costume is part of his religion.

Read about it in the Metro or the Citizen-Times.

This story is blowing up and I’ve been having a lot of problems keeping the server running. It’s currently #1 on Digg and Reddit.

I’ll have some updates and more information about all this soon.

348 Responses to “Religious Discrimination”

1. Tagliatellius says:

Democracy! Ha Ha Ha, like our democracy in the U.K.?
    We can vote for Blair’s New Labour blood soaked right wing b*st*rds, or we can vote for Tory boy Cameron’s blood soaked right wing b*st*rds.
    I believe the States has a similar set up.
    Politicians! put all the world’s politicians in a big sack and hit the sack with a baseball bat, you’ll hit the guilty one every time.
    Ramen Brothers and Sisters, yarrrr.

2. Peter Popoff says:

Well, I was kind of expecting a few oars up my ass.
    But, being “bagged and batted” could work too.
    Ramen

3. Celosia says:

Poor kid. I wonder how an eye patch is disruptive to class I mean honestly we do and wear crazier things and dont get in trouble. the fsm has a growing presence at my school, we observe talk like a pirate day, every so often someone shows up wearing something piratish, and at least one person(myself) has the car emblem. My school also has problems with religious tolerance at times because we have a Jesus Club that is advocated by a teacher or two and the school is not supposed to advocate religion of any sort but the club fought and won the rigth to be on campus (duh) which helped the rest of us.

4. name? says:

I agree with both brian and bryan, bryan.. ur right cuz you do have the right to wear your religious stuff to school… assumeing he really is a pastafarianist… and brian your right… its not proper but hey this is america… we have right to free speech and freedom of expresion so he can although he shouldnt…

5. DutchPastaGuy says:

RAmen.

6. Captain Noodulous Silicate TBHNA says:

We need to write a letter and ALL sign it saying that it is blatant religious discrimination and we genuinely believe that it is more likely that the world was created by a flying spaghetti monster in 2 seconds and wants us to dress as pirates than Jesus died on the cross for our sins and assuming Bryan Killian believes the same they must respect his beliefs, religion and expression of it.
    If he wants to express his is religous belief in the way he dresses then (within reason) the school should accomodate him assuming they don’t ban all other religious insignia/garb. If they find an eye patch unacceptable for safety reasons how about a tricorn hat? Or Skull and Cross-bones Bandana?
    A wooden leg doesn’t sound very wise and a parrot probably isn’t hygienic.
    It is a severe kind of religious discrimination is to not take other peoples beliefs seriously.
    I know many pastafarians who’ve thought their beliefs through a lot more than many Christians who choose to where Crucifixes.
    Can someone find the address of the school and tell us who to write to…

7. Peter Popoff says:

@name?

Eye patch “Bryan” is completly in the right.
    Head up his ass “Brian” should pull his head out of his ass.
    For the very reasons you’ve stated. This is America, we have
    Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Expression.
    It is proper. Your saying it isn’t proper seems to contradict one of the above Freedoms, You can’t decide “proper” for me, thank you very muchly.
    Should I decide “proper” for you?

8. Wench Beth says:

To DPG…
    “Bryan, may you rank alongside Rosa Parks in history books that are used in every school 30 years from now!”
    A big RAmen to that! Our little Pastafarian is going to make history!!