Religious Discrimination

Published March 29th, 2007 by Bobby Henderson

Bryan Killian, a high school student in North Buncombe, North Carolina was suspended for coming to school dressed as a pirate.

But the disciplinary action has provoked controversy – because the student says that the ban violates his rights, as the pirate costume is part of his religion.

Read about it in the Metro or the Citizen-Times.

This story is blowing up and I’ve been having a lot of problems keeping the server running. It’s currently #1 on Digg and Reddit.

I’ll have some updates and more information about all this soon.

348 Responses to “Religious Discrimination”

1. Enya says:

I wonder why anyone even cares. The only problem in wearing an eye patch is, that it is harder for him to cheat during a test. So what’s the big deal??? Or did they have school uniforms there? Otherwise fashion rules.

2. Leuitenant Lylly says:

I’m in school in NC now, and I wish I had enough courage to do what he did. He is a bold, totally awesome person who totally deserves a medal/mention in the gospel. Go Bryan!!

3. Wench Nikkiee says:

“Smug smile at st hypocrisy of school*
    RAmen

4. Wench Beth says:

I wore WAY more shocking stuff than that when I was in high school and no one ever got me in trouble. I guess things are different now.

5. Joe Blow says:

Obviously its an education issue because

HOW IS HE GONNA READ THE BLACKBOARD?

with only one eye? he’ll miss the 3-D graphics!

!!

6. Markus says:

How is wearing an eye patch “distracting?”

We had a guy in school wear one after what I can only assume was an operation (actually he never said why he was wearing it), and he never got in trouble.

I think because FSM has gained ground it has become a PC target for religious discrimination.

7. Peter Popoff says:

@ All our overseas Pastafarians… (shameless plug)
    Please don’t think this school, or the Kansas school board, or even the State of Alabama,
    Really represent life in America. There are pockets of insanity to be found everywhere.
    I can totally understand, that when something like this hits international media.
    That people would think that’s the way life is here. It’s not really.
    It’s more of the squeaky wheel getting the grease then anything else.
    With all the problems our current administration has created in recent years,
    I realize we are fast losing face in this world.
    But, I feel a need to say;
    I still love my Country and believe in the democracy our forefathers created.
    It’s not to late to fix this mess, just remember to vote:
    Peter Popoff for Prez
    Thank you all for your support to date,
    Ramen,
    Peter Popoff

8. Booty says:

Yay! Vote for PP – unfortunately I am in the wrong country, but his Noodly appendages will solve all :)
    What a fucking mess! Poor guy! just know we are here for you and supporting you inyour persecution (I, Myself have drunk several glasses of Calvados in supplication for you!) RAmen