Religious Discrimination

Published March 29th, 2007 by Bobby Henderson

Bryan Killian, a high school student in North Buncombe, North Carolina was suspended for coming to school dressed as a pirate.

But the disciplinary action has provoked controversy – because the student says that the ban violates his rights, as the pirate costume is part of his religion.

Read about it in the Metro or the Citizen-Times.

This story is blowing up and I’ve been having a lot of problems keeping the server running. It’s currently #1 on Digg and Reddit.

I’ll have some updates and more information about all this soon.

348 Responses to “Religious Discrimination”

1 2 3 44
  1. Banana says:

I feel very sorry for him
    luckyly in germany people accept my way of life. Some people laugh at me but thats not my problem!
    Ramen!

2. Foilwoman says:

Well, this was in East Bu — North Buncombe.

3. Brian Wilde says:

The town is not North Buncombe, it’s Weaverville, NC.

I personally know the kid, he’s friends with my buddies younger brother and I’ve seen him many o’ times. Everytime I’ve seen him, he’s not once had the eye patch on. This is ridiculous and I agree with the school 100%, he could have easily taken the eyepatch off and avoided geting suspended. The school is a place for learning, not trying to convert people to pastafarianism. He’s allowed to do this downtown in Asheville, even downtown in Weaverville, anywhere in public really. Do it those places, not in a high school.

4. Papa Jones says:

bah, what does it matter if a kid wears an eyepatch to school, his teachers were fine with it, it was his principal who didnt like it, ive worn an eyepatch to school before also, and wh osays the kid was trying to convert people, i always got more people askign me about it thaan me tellign them about it

5. Peter Popoff says:

Brian Wilde Mar 30th, 2007 at 11:31 am

The town is not North Buncombe, it’s Weaverville, NC.

Errm, excuse me Brian.
    But isn’t it a public school?
    Why yes it is! How about that. So you would agree he has the right, right?
    Or is that only for wearing crosses?
    I also, couldn’t find where he was trying to convert anybody to anything?
    Well, lets hope your buddies little brother, is smarter then you.
    Ramen

6. Jonno says:

It’s the whole point he’s not really campaigning to come to school to wear pasta uniform its about campainging that no one brings religious rubbish in.

The whole basis of Pastafarianism is that is equal in intelligence to christanity, judiasm , islam and that where you give priveldges to one you give them to all other religions

7. Peter Popoff says:

Jonno Mar 30th, 2007 at 12:04 pm

Bingo, Jonno.
    This kid is doing the right thing. And he has a right to do it too!
    I get really pissed reading the ideas like Brian Wilde has. Misguided ignorance, is worse then anything!
    This whole, “lets play my way” because I’m right and you’re wrong has got to end!
    I wish it was my kid that made this statement with the eye patch, but in the public school she goes to, the teachers would have gotten pissed because she didn’t wear the rest of the garb.
    I’m glad I live in NY and not down in Billy country.
    Oddly enough, I was about 100 miles from there this week, in Linwood, NC must have been something in the air.
    Ramen

8. Wench Beth says:

Oh, HELLO?!?! Can the world wake up, please?!?! This kid’s wearing of an eyepatch to school because of his religion is no different than a Christian wearing a cross around his neck or a Jewish kid wearing a star of David. Bryan Killian should totally sue the school for religious discrimination. For FSM’s sake, the principal should have been the one who got suspended!!
    This really reflects the whole point of Pastafarianism and the whole state of religious discrimination in the world today. I salute Bryan Killian for his freedom of speech and religious expression.

1 2 3 44