Blackbeard’s ship to be excavated

Published March 3rd, 2007 by Bobby Henderson

20070303082209990007.jpg

A shipwreck off the North Carolina coast believed to be that of notorious pirate Blackbeard could be fully excavated in three years.

Read about it here.

175 Responses to “Blackbeard’s ship to be excavated”

1. Pixel Pop says:

Aargh, I swear he lives still!
    RAmen

2. Arthur says:

“The items are being preserved and studied at a lab at East Carolina University, and eventually more will become available for the public to view”
    In case you missed the earlier mention, this is the school that Nick the Missionary and I go to; I brought up this topic at dinner with the family tonight before I’d read the whole article (saw it as I was leaving), and Momma recognized it as something ECU was looking into.
    Now I wanna see if I can go look at the stuff they have; at the very least I might can find someone to talk to and learn more about the situation.
    *dances*

3. Nick the Missionary says:

Hey Arthur. If you go talk to someone from maritime studies in the history dept., I’m sure they might let you check out some of the artifacts. I think there are some in brewster. I know they do some of the restoration out at one of the voice of America sites (site B I think). The rest of the artifacts are kept in Morehead City. If you act like you are thinking about switching majors to maritime studies, they’ll be more likely to let you have a look.
    Later

4. Arthur says:

@Nick
    Since I AM in the process of changing majors and will already be wandering around the various science buildings to talk to folks about that, I can always use the loose moral system we have to smudge the truth a hair in an effort to get closer to the FSM.
    I love this religion. ;)
    Thanks for the heads up. On a random note, I think I tried adding you on Facebook (through the ecu.edu email account you mailed me from) and don’t think I ever got an acceptance; was that you or did I try adding a random, dead profile?

5. Tiffy-o says:

omgwow I can’t wait until this summer,
    I’m visiting NC, and I will have to make a pirate-stop.
    :D

6. Nick the Missionary says:

Sorry dude, I got no facebook account.

7. Wench Beth says:

To Pixel Pop…
    “Aargh, I swear he lives still!
    When they excavate that ship they’ll find ol’ blackbeard still breathin’ and then they’ll be sorry they ever disturbed the king o’ the seven seas!”
    YES!! That is what is going to happen!! I know it!! You pegged it, Pixely — RAmen to you! But what is your opinion: do you think the FSM is for or against the excavation??

8. Arthur says:

@Nick

Then someone has your same name. Grr…
    *deletes friend request*
    Thanks!
    @Wench Beth
    “do you think the FSM is for or against the excavation??”
    I don’t think the answer to that is overly important, since we already know that if we’re about to dig up something He doesn’t want us to know, he’ll change the results of what happens. The Noodly One works in mysterious ways.
    Firefox says “noodly” isn’t a real word. Time to update the dictionary on this thing…