mouse neurons, the expanding universe, and the fsm

Published January 19th, 2007 by Bobby Henderson

The New York Times has published a graphic which compares the strangely-similar image of mouse neurons, only micrometers wide, to an image of our expanding universe, billions of light years across. There is an obvious noodle-and-meatballs-like pattern to each, suggesting underlying intelligent design, which comes as no surprise to Pastafarians.
neurons.jpg

Link to the NYTimes graphic.

111 Responses to “mouse neurons, the expanding universe, and the fsm”

1. Captain Noodulous Silicate TBHNA says:

Yes, Beth many things. Including (of course) a junction…

2. Homo narrans says:

the similarity of patterns at different scales are merely further evidence of mighty FSM’s existnce, as we can see here. you know what else is suspiciously noodly? fractals. anyone look at the Mandelbrot set and tell me it is anything other than the finger(noodle?)print of FSM.

3. Marc McOar says:

I thought that Mandelbrot Fractals was a character from a Douglas Adams book.

4. Dread Wench L'TUAE says:

I don’t want to get heretical here, but is anyoneone else thinking that our Noodly Creator might have had a little ego problem? Then again, who am I to care if He does. It just brings His image closer to our everyday lives.^_^

5. Marc McOar says:

I just hope you don’t get struck by lightening with that comment, Dread Wench. I heard a rumor that the FSM gets mean when he is drunk on cheap gin.

6. Teddy says:

@Dread Wench L’TUAE:
    Over inflated egos are a necessity of Gods. Therefore it can’t be a problem.
    I take it the link between atoms and stellar (solar, etc) systems, and stellar and galactic systems isn’t lost on people either. I reckon we all orbit the center of the verse (big bang being a super, super massive black hole giving off a burst of energy), and this verse is just one of many orbiting another uber big point.
    At which point we need a name for the bigger entity. I will except Verse of Universe for the ‘as of yet – known universe’ class orbital system, as we are just one of many (uni of multi). So my proposed names are

Atom->Stellar System->Galaxy->Universe->Multiverse
    Atom->Stellar System->Galaxy->Verse->Stanza
    I wonder how far it goes.

7. Pixel Pete says:

@Teddy
    We’ll be making poetry in no time!!!
    RAmen

8. Captain Noodulous Silicate TBHNA says:

The FSM doesn’t have an over inflated ego.
    Please refer to your “I’d really rather you didn’ts”

He just happens to like noodles – a lot. Hey who doesn’t.