mouse neurons, the expanding universe, and the fsm

Published January 19th, 2007 by Bobby Henderson

The New York Times has published a graphic which compares the strangely-similar image of mouse neurons, only micrometers wide, to an image of our expanding universe, billions of light years across. There is an obvious noodle-and-meatballs-like pattern to each, suggesting underlying intelligent design, which comes as no surprise to Pastafarians.
neurons.jpg

Link to the NYTimes graphic.

111 Responses to “mouse neurons, the expanding universe, and the fsm”

1. Fr. Corpus Callosum says:

@Teddy:
    ‘I wonder how far it goes.’
    Very nice post and a good synopsis of a modern view of the universe. The only answer can be that it goes to infinity in every direction, but it’s noodles in every direction held in place by invisible pasta sauce.

2. Captain Noodulous Silicate TBHNA says:

@Thumper Jan 21st, 2007 at 4:16 pm
    Are we saying Elmer Fudd is a heretic?

I wouldn’t want to eat a rock badger. I’d break my teeth.

3. Teddy says:

@Fr. Corpus Callosum
    Thank you! ;)
    Out of interest, they know that when an SMB (super-massive black hole) reaches a certain mass it ‘belches’ and blasts a lot of matter and energy away from itself. Do you also think that this may happen at various stages of growth of a black hole (or if maybe the hole was bigger to begin with) and produce our verse? Or maybe two Hyper-SMBs could collide and cause the same effect.
    For anyone not sure, black holes aren’t holes. One the mass of the sun would be a couple of km in diameter. Ones roaming* the galaxy are in the 10s of km (10-15x sun masses), and the ones at the galactic cores can be billions of times the mass of our sun (If I remember up to 200,000km diameters, small compared with the galaxy, just looks big). Black holes are not infinitely small in size.
    As black holes accrete (absorb, opposite of excrete) mass they emit radiation (energy/photons) from the poles. This is most commonly noticed by pulsars (okay, neutron stars but meh!, and quasars – I think – very distant AGNs/SMB emitting radiation).
    Sorry, but I figure the universe probably fascinates some of you almost ;) as much as me.
    *Don’t start.

4. Dread Wench L'TUAE says:

Don’t worry Teddy, I love that kind of stuff.
    @ B5 fans. I know! The entire series was great, even if the last season was a little disconnected. I have all the seasons on DVD, and the movies they made. Marcus was awesome, but my two other favorites were Lenier and G’kar. It’s so sad that Andreas Katsulas died. He was a great actor. Did you know they’re making induvidual episodes now with the remaining characters? They’ve filmed some already.
    @ Alchemist- you have a membari fighting staff??!!! Where can I get one?!
    @Thumper Rampant- you don’t know what you’re talking about. Go to hell.

5. Teddy says:

@Dread Wench L’TUAE
    Andreas K. was more than a great actor. He was awesome. To keep a straight face with some of his lines…. I just loved the pairings they did. G’Kar/Londo Vir/Lenier. They played off each other like no other characters I’ve seen.
    Obviously I thought Marcus’ humour was great, but his piece was a tad short. Should have had him in longer.
    Pretty good that they are doing more, but I’m not sure how well it will work, never thought much of Lochley’s character, lacked depth. Still, I will watch and enjoy.

6. Jonas says:

How can you talk about such insignificant things like christians in a time like this?
    Amazing new proof of His Divine Grace our Almighty Pasta Moster has appeared in daylight, all according to His Plan. I feel touched when I see this new and beautiful evidence! This… christ, did he have appendages? The intelligent design is infallable, so please stop talking this christ-nonsens and join me in Praise and Worship of His Holiness the Spaghetti Monster! Say after me… RAmen!!! RAmen!!!

7. Teddy says:

@Jonas
    This… christ, did he have appendages?
    No, I don’t think so. However, there is an xian equivalent, the priests and bishops have appendages which they use to reach out and touch people.
    (Too low?)

8. Cabbage Master says:

there, see? absolute proof.