Take a look

Published December 7th, 2006 by Bobby Henderson

Take a look at some of the hate mail on this site…some people actually have said it ruined their lives because their friends have believed in this stuff, and yes in fact I do know a girl who told me about this, and yes, she does belive in this stuff, with all of her heart. I don’t think that you people take into consideration that not everyone is the brightest crayon in the box and people will believe in anything they’re told..it’s a fact of life. I mean…I’m all for fun and games and joking around…but there really is a point of taking it to far. I mean…come on…look at what you’re doing in your spare time…it kind of depresses me.

-Jacob

295 Responses to “Take a look”

1 2 3 37
  1. Werefox Alchemist says:

Yeah, dude, that sure makes me want to go running back into the hypocritical embrace of the Christian church. It’s almost enough to make me regret the hundreds of gray-matter building hours I’ve spent debating relevant theo-political issues on this site. But not really. I personally have lost a friend over my affilitaion with FSM-ism, and my veiw is that if you are closed-minded enough to relinquish a friendship because you disagree with what people belive, fuck you. I don’t go around telling my Catholic friends to give up Jesus and become an agnostic- that would just be stupid. And, frankly, insulting to my friends, though I find their religion just as ridiculous as you appear to find mine.
    ~W.A.

2. Werefox Alchemist says:

By the way, there is a word for people who blindly do what they are told and belive what is said to them- Fundamentalist Christians. Actually, that’s two words, proving that I’m smarter than the folks you apparently think are being duped by Bobby Henderson.
    ~W.A.

3. Farseer says:

RAmen, W.A., Ramen.

4. Homo narrans says:

@Jacob:
    yes, people sadly will believe what they’re told, often without question. this is why otherwise perfectly sane young men will strap semtex to themselves and commit suicide with the intention of taking as many down with them as possible. it’s the reason why religious fundamentalism is so damned prolific and why arguments from authority cause so much trouble in the world.
    the point of FSM is to show just how absurd the notion of unquestioning belief really is. if people choose to believe this literally, then that’s their problem, but the vast majority of us see FSM for what it is: an ingenius piece of satire, which successfully shows the utter foolishness of belief without evidence. And just to agree with werefox here, the FSM does provie people with a forum for discussion of relevant theophilosophical and political issues. it just does so in a fun way.

5. One Oared Marc says:

Praise FSM! This brings tears to my oar hole. I love to hear about the salvation of others brought to the bright beacon of our beloved Flying Spaghetti Monster. May they have an eternity of beer and strippers. I am weeping with happiness of this story of a girl’s faith. Bless you. And, Jacob, there is room for you too here under the umbrage of his noodly appendages. Please think about it. But, alas, I do not convert, I pervert.

6. St John the Blasphemist says:

Just like my mother used to say – It’s all good fun until someone loses an eye.
    I wonder if your friend actually does believe in this with all her heart or just tells you about it to take the piss out of your humour deficit disorder.
    You fail to take into account the reasoning behind FSMism & its purpose in showing how ridiculous the intelligent design advocates look.
    Seems that you may have a couple of shingles missing from the roof yourself.
    St John the Blasphemist
    Saint of Metaphors For Stupidity (a couple of sandwiches short of a picnic, a tree short of a forest, etc)

7. Spotted Zebra says:

Jacob is depressed huh? Find comfort in the embrace of the noodley appendage, rum, fellow scallywags and sailing…poor little jellyfish!

8. Alchemist says:

I’m with Werefox Alchemist (nice name btw) there.
    Jacob. I can’t speak for anyone but myself.
    I don’t think any of the main posters would want you, or anyone, to ‘believe’ in this.
    I truly hope that nobody mistakes this site for a serious religion?

1 2 3 37