22006 Views

Discovery Institute – Celebrating Xmas at the cfsm

Published December 29th, 2006 by Bobby Henderson

header2.jpg

Casey Luskin of the Discovery Institute‘s Evolution News & Views has posted an article on the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster’s treatment of the Christmas holiday.

During the holiday season, many Americans take time to seriously and respectfully reflect on Judeo-Christian religious beliefs. Not so for one website, the “Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster” (FSM), a pro-evolution satire against intelligent design. They exhibit no interest in treating Christian holidays with respect. To celebrate the season, they are selling Christmas cards which show a dead Christian fish symbol. Other Christmas Cards portray Michelangelo’s well-known “Creation of Adam” painting on the Sistene Chapel, but the FSM cards have God replaced by the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Another graphic promoted on the page shows a nativity scene where Jesus is replaced by the “Flying Spaghetti Monster.” I can appreciate humor, but it’s also clear that the FSM images are intended to mock traditional religion:

fsmholidycard_sm.jpg

I disagree with most of what he’s saying – we are no more mocking Christian beliefs than Christians are mocking ours – but it’s an interesting read.

You can read the whole article here.

161 Responses to “Discovery Institute – Celebrating Xmas at the cfsm”

1. Alchemist says:

RAmen to that. Can we liberate beer first?
    I wish I was a bit more computer savvy Peter, I thought that RSS feeds updated themselves. Unless I’ve made a balls up, which is quite possible :)
    I’m sure I’ve read about a plug in for firefox that allows sites that support it to be searched, can’t find it on mozilla though, I’ll have a look in the developers bit in a bit.

2. Captain Noodulous Silicate TBHNA says:

Dunno, I haven’t looked in to it. Though I am Firefox too as it happens.
    I only use IE for my credit card account because it doesn’t fire fox. Dang Nabbit.

You know the basic idea, you provide a web-site and it crawls all the links looking for your key words…

I’m gonna hunt around on the ‘ol web….

I’ll be back later.

3. Peter Popoff says:

Alchemist Jan 9th, 2007 at 3:32 pm

RAmen to that. Can we liberate beer first?
    Ya got me friend? Computer savvy? Heck, I don’t even know what RSS feed, means?
    Yes on the beer though, I liberate beer every chance I get.
    Ramen

4. L'TUAE_42 says:

“Yes on the beer though, I liberate beer every chance I get.”
    We’ve noticed.^_^

5. Captain Mad John Kidd says:

Peter—”Yes on the beer though, I liberate beer every chance I get.”

I’ll drrrrink to that matey!!!

RAmen

CMJK

6. Rabbit says:

Isn’t only liberating beer alchoholist or something? What about all the other poor trapped drinks, we should free them all!

7. Kirill says:

If their complaining about us using “their” fish i would like to bring up how Eusebius,at the council of Nicea, takes the immage of Pan the greek/roman god of the flock and the harvest and uses his image as the image of satan. Now how would they feel if we took the “virgin” mary and used her as the ultimate evil being?

RAmen

8. se toyota finance says:

se toyota finance…

Fresh news on se toyota finance….