Discovery Institute – Celebrating Xmas at the cfsm

Published December 29th, 2006 by Bobby Henderson

header2.jpg

Casey Luskin of the Discovery Institute‘s Evolution News & Views has posted an article on the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster’s treatment of the Christmas holiday.

During the holiday season, many Americans take time to seriously and respectfully reflect on Judeo-Christian religious beliefs. Not so for one website, the “Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster” (FSM), a pro-evolution satire against intelligent design. They exhibit no interest in treating Christian holidays with respect. To celebrate the season, they are selling Christmas cards which show a dead Christian fish symbol. Other Christmas Cards portray Michelangelo’s well-known “Creation of Adam” painting on the Sistene Chapel, but the FSM cards have God replaced by the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Another graphic promoted on the page shows a nativity scene where Jesus is replaced by the “Flying Spaghetti Monster.” I can appreciate humor, but it’s also clear that the FSM images are intended to mock traditional religion:

fsmholidycard_sm.jpg

I disagree with most of what he’s saying – we are no more mocking Christian beliefs than Christians are mocking ours – but it’s an interesting read.

You can read the whole article here.

161 Responses to “Discovery Institute – Celebrating Xmas at the cfsm”

1. Re-Oared Marc says:

The mere fact that the point has to be explained sort of defeats the whole purpose, no? It is like explaining the punchline of a joke. You either got it the first time or it is not very funny. Maybe there should be a humor capacity quiz or something required before entering the sacred Church of The FSM.

2. Wench Nikky says:

Ahh….a Humour Deficit Disorder dichotomous key!
    I believe Nick the Infidel wrote one of those on one of the laughing boy threads. Quite good it was too. Would such an entry requirement provide us with the amount of fun we have now though?

3. Peter Popoff says:

hahahaha
    Agreed!

4. Captain Noodulous Silicate TBHNA says:

@Claprán Jan 8th, 2007 at 4:20 pm

Mike seems to be happy in:

That guy takes a seriously long time to understand stuff.

He probably comes up to people days later and says “that was really funny”…

That was at 2:21pm around 4 hours after he made the above comments.
    We need to careful of internet time. You don’t always read postings in chronological order between discussion threads.

I wish Bobby would provide access to all postings since date/time X.

Booty would agree, we come back in our evening and you guys have been posting like crazy overnight in the ‘long way from GMT’ timezones.

5. Booty says:

Aye Aye Cap’n! (I’ve been waiting to say that for days ;) )
    I agree, the times are most confusing, and it takes me ages to try and catch up on what I have missed, and I still think I have missed out on things if they have gone off the “recent comments” bit.
    I used to post quite a bit on the “BadMothersClub” site which was a lot easier to navigate, slightly different premis, you could just start a new thread if you wanted, but it was very easy to work out where you left off and catch up.

6. Alchemist says:

@ Captain & Booty – well said. I tried opening different tabs (and keep hoping the RSS feeds will update themselves). In the end I gave up – completely baffled me. Now I do the same as you Booty, recent comments (also open the links in Latest Posts that I’m posting on). Even so.
    Captain, was it you that mentioned something about a website crawler? Do you know if Firefox has any plugins for this?

7. Peter Popoff says:

Hi Alchemist.
    As soon as you and I take over the world… er’ I mean are duly stationed as leaders of our countries. We will fix this problem with the website! Agreed?

8. Beastly Rich says:

I shall be very disappointed if you stop there.