Discovery Institute – Celebrating Xmas at the cfsm

Published December 29th, 2006 by Bobby Henderson

header2.jpg

Casey Luskin of the Discovery Institute‘s Evolution News & Views has posted an article on the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster’s treatment of the Christmas holiday.

During the holiday season, many Americans take time to seriously and respectfully reflect on Judeo-Christian religious beliefs. Not so for one website, the “Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster” (FSM), a pro-evolution satire against intelligent design. They exhibit no interest in treating Christian holidays with respect. To celebrate the season, they are selling Christmas cards which show a dead Christian fish symbol. Other Christmas Cards portray Michelangelo’s well-known “Creation of Adam” painting on the Sistene Chapel, but the FSM cards have God replaced by the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Another graphic promoted on the page shows a nativity scene where Jesus is replaced by the “Flying Spaghetti Monster.” I can appreciate humor, but it’s also clear that the FSM images are intended to mock traditional religion:

fsmholidycard_sm.jpg

I disagree with most of what he’s saying – we are no more mocking Christian beliefs than Christians are mocking ours – but it’s an interesting read.

You can read the whole article here.

161 Responses to “Discovery Institute – Celebrating Xmas at the cfsm”

1 15 16 17 18 19 21
  1. Beastly Rich says:

I though it was expensive, but I don’t buy much furniture.

2. Teh Pirate Fish says:

“mock traditional religons”?

And just what makes a religon traditional? What if this was founded first? And Christianity was considered blasphemy by others?
    So narrow-minded it makes me sad……

3. Mike says:

If you guys at FSM really believe this crap, you’re as crazy as the Christians.

And if you don’t, you’re just being insincere and mocking religion without being brave enough to admit it.

This whole site is ridiculous.

4. Gnocci Man says:

@Mike
    Read the open letter.

5. jesus christ says:

@mike
    learn the meaning of parody. it seems like nobody has a sense of humor these days

6. Re-Oared Marc says:

“This whole site is ridiculous.”
    And your point?

7. Captain Noodulous Silicate TBHNA says:

If you guys at FSM really believe this crap, you’re as crazy as the Christians.
    CNS:Agreed. But certainly no more crazy.
    CNS:I disagree. I thought we were sincere in our mocking of (other) religions. I’m not sure what brave has to do with it. Are the Xians going to do something to us? I thought they were all namby pamby forgiveness-monkeys.

This whole site is ridiculous.
    CNS: I’m confused. In the context it sounds like he thinks that’s a bad thing.

8. Claprán says:

The whole point was explained to him on another thread, he seemed happy enough with the idea over there, wish I could remember which it was though

1 15 16 17 18 19 21