Discovery Institute – Celebrating Xmas at the cfsm

Published December 29th, 2006 by Bobby Henderson

header2.jpg

Casey Luskin of the Discovery Institute‘s Evolution News & Views has posted an article on the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster’s treatment of the Christmas holiday.

During the holiday season, many Americans take time to seriously and respectfully reflect on Judeo-Christian religious beliefs. Not so for one website, the “Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster” (FSM), a pro-evolution satire against intelligent design. They exhibit no interest in treating Christian holidays with respect. To celebrate the season, they are selling Christmas cards which show a dead Christian fish symbol. Other Christmas Cards portray Michelangelo’s well-known “Creation of Adam” painting on the Sistene Chapel, but the FSM cards have God replaced by the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Another graphic promoted on the page shows a nativity scene where Jesus is replaced by the “Flying Spaghetti Monster.” I can appreciate humor, but it’s also clear that the FSM images are intended to mock traditional religion:

fsmholidycard_sm.jpg

I disagree with most of what he’s saying – we are no more mocking Christian beliefs than Christians are mocking ours – but it’s an interesting read.

You can read the whole article here.

161 Responses to “Discovery Institute – Celebrating Xmas at the cfsm”

1 2 3 21
  1. Wench Nikky says:

“I can appreciate humor, but it’s also clear that the FSM images are intended to mock traditional religion:…….”
    Right on about that christian parody of FSMism mocking our beliefs, Prophet Bobby! RAmen

“I’m not one who mocks, so whether you worship God or mock Him, and whether you had a turkey or spaghetti and meatballs for Christmas dinner, I sincerely hope you have had a Merry Christmas, a Happy Hanukkah, and a safe holiday season.”
    Well now, there’s a surprise! Are they up to something or just trying to reign in the damage, that Demski and others have done to their cause over the past few weeks?
    The IDiots can be a very sneaky lot.
    RAmen

2. gill says:

Oh my FSM, enough with the blasted complaining! So we may or may not be making fun of their holiday celebrating an event that may or may not have happened years and years ago. Don’t these people have better ways to spend their time? Can’t they go and…feed the hungry or something? Jeeze!

3. gill says:

Unless I’m missing something I note there’s no way to comment on that article…

4. Queen of Rock'n'Roll says:

RAmen to Gill and Wench Nikky!! It’s time for the complaining religious freaks to:
    1) stop being hypocrites about their own so-called religions,
    2) get a life,
    3) learn some spelling and grammar!!!

5. Sacreligous Sea-Dog says:

I’m leading the fight at my school to get FSMism taught in biology classes and so far im winning. Yet I am fearful that i will be attacked by scientists and christians/catholics. I might make it onto the local news also, they seem interested. I’ve got 4 pages worth of supportive evidence that my principal asked for, and im almost ready to present it to him. If any of you, my friends, could help me in my fight, I would appreciate it very much. Help me bring the FSM to Massachusetts!

RAmen!

6. RedEye says:

I have been searching for quite awhile for some answers. Thank FSM for using the noodly appendage to guide me to your site. I feel so much better now…All Hail the FSM!

7. Wench Nikky says:

@gill Dec 29th, 2006 at 11:23 pm
    “Unless I’m missing something I note there’s no way to comment on that article…”
    Sneaky I tell ye Gill, downright sneaky. Just like their…ahem…designer “science claims”
    @Alchemist, when you come on board, please don’t give in to showering little daffodil with the attention he so desperately begs for. He’ll drag you down to his level (where he is an expert) and beat you every time! :)

8. Wench Nikky says:

If nothing else, this Discovery article should bring us in a sizable infusion of new, pseudo scientific mail.
    :) :)