19058 Views

1st Holiday Tree of the season

Published December 8th, 2006 by Bobby Henderson

Matt Kent sent me this:

holiday-tree-1.jpg

I like the shadow it makes on the ceiling.  Holiday Trees, anyone else?  Send pics, I’ll post them.

73 Responses to “1st Holiday Tree of the season”

1 4 5 6 7 8 10
  1. Jingles says:

Bonezesquato,
    :D
    Maybe we can get it as a card design?

2. Gnocci Man says:

@Bonezesquato
    gotta love it. post us if you make any more!

3. Concerned Critic says:

Hey guys, I couldn’t find contact info so I’ll just post this here.

Okay, first of all this whole thing is pretty funny. Lots of imagination and creativity went into this and it is in fact very funny.

BUT I think you are shooting yourselves in the foot. The satire is too heavy handed and the tone is far too mocking to win anyone over to your cause who didn’t already agree before being “touched by his noodly appendage”. You’ll never get anywhere by ridiculing the beliefs of others. How open-minded to another perspective do you feel when a religious nut misrepresents what you believe?

In saying all of this I am assuming that the goal of the founder and many of the members is to help people realize that religion is quite ridiculous when you take it apart and think about it, and that opposition to scientific findings really gets under your skin (as it does mine).

But maybe I am wrong and this is all for fun and nobody here is entertaining any delusions that what they are doing will help dispel ignorance. If that’s the case, then I guess none of my criticisms apply. Thanks for listening anyway.

4. Gnocci Man says:

@Concerned Critic
    In some ways, you are correct. Many people have been very angered by our movement, as you can see in the hate mail section. However, their often swear-filled missives give the same effect as if we were not so critical. People see those who are so embroiled in religion that they have completely lost not only their sense of humor, but also a very large amount of IQ. After seeing that, many people have realised just how important it is to avoid fanaticism/fundamentalism. Remember, we are not so much trying to destroy religions as to show people that they shouldn’t become too involved with them. Obviously, many of us (including me) have highly athiestic viewpoints that may insult many religious people, but we are very tired of them trying to force their veiws on others.
    also, worshiping the Flying Spaghetti Monster is just too damn fun to pass up.
    May you be touched by His Noodly Appendage,
    RAmen

5. SaucyWench says:

@ Concerned critic – I agree with Gnicci Man. I just wanted to let you know that I appreciate your astute analysis of what’s going on and your clear, easily-digested presentation of your concern. The problem with presenting our cause in a milder form is that nobody cares. It really makes a bold statement, however, to openly worship a pasta dish. My purpose in being here is a) to have fun, and b) to have my say in a way that will get their attention. ‘Their” for me is anyone who thinks it would be a good idea to teach intelligent design as science to children in publicly-funded schools, and especially those who would and have taken political action to institute such an offensive, self-absorbed, all-assuming mockery of the separation of church and state. Again, thank you for input, which has a lot of validity as far as I’m concerned.

6. SaucyWench says:

Damn! I meant Gnocci Man, of course. Nobody likes a good typo more than I do, but it’s better when other people make them and when they happen to be especially funny.

7. Oarless Marc says:

Concerned Critic,
    Point well taken. However, there are dozens of dour, multi-syllabic tome websites dedicated to debunking religion and keeping religion out of government — maybe even hundreds of sites. But, this one seems to have traction because it uses humor and wry intellect to get the message across. You can definitely get more flies with honey than with poop, although there seem to be a lot of bum references here.

8. Alcheist says:

@Concerned Critic – Further to Gnocci Man and Wench Nickkiee. You are right in that the message of FSM is to point out the ridiculous.
    It can get a bit over-satirical on the “Hate-Mail and Concerned Criticism” threads.
    Sometimes you have to fight fire with fire. As SauchWench says -It’s fun! Hopefully nobody gets hurt and we all go away thinking we’ve proved our points. Just think of the danger to the planet if we didn’t have this outlet?
    There are plenty of other discussion threads on this site, not to mention the ones in the wild, that deal with this in a much more reasonable way – can’t actually think of any off hand but they exist.
    Bloody hell – was anyone else transported back to sixth-form (year 12). I could feel a “sorry sir” starting to well up :-)

1 4 5 6 7 8 10