What’s Good About Atheism

Published November 3rd, 2006 by Bobby Henderson

god-creation.jpg

Here‘s an interesting article in TCS Daily discussing Atheism, Religion, and the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

The recent small spate of atheist writings by the likes of Richard Dawkins, Daniel Dennett, and Sam Harris, noticed in the pages of Wired and The Guardian, revives an old and rather quaint controversy. It is one which, I believe, is good for religion; but to unearth the genuine value of atheist beliefs we need first to dispose of the clutter of illogic and absurd claims that have washed up around them over the years.

Link to article.

347 Responses to “What’s Good About Atheism”

1 2 3 44
  1. Mad John Kidd says:

No fear of an invisible old man who lives in the sky and threatens to let us burn in hell for eternity, because he loves us. Or more maybe because it means I can sleep in on Sunday mornings.

2. Mike Meier says:

Freedom to think for yourself, freedon to inquire and discover, to live by simpler ethical codes, to solve problems logically instead of by consulting myth or tradition, to see the world with open and unbiased eyes, and to relate to people as human beings not unlike myself.

3. One Eyed Jack says:

Interesting article. Some good points and a couple poor ones. I’m only going to address the biggest error that jumped out at me.
    “But anyone with an historical sense will recognize that the few hundred people who die each month in religious conflicts are absurdly dwarfed by the tens of millions, almost all of them religious believers, who died, within living memory, under the savage atheistic regimes of Hitler, Stalin, Mao Zedong and the various dialectical materialist dictators of eastern Europe. We have seen what atheism looks like on the large scale, and it is not pretty: the Holocaust, the Gulag, the Cultural Revolution, the Killing Fields.”
    So, anything that is not attributed to religion must be attributed to atheism? I think not. You cannot assign causation based on the lack of something. Hitler did not play baseball as a child. Therefore I conclude that children who don’t play baseball are evil and responsible for WWII. You don’t believe me? They don’t play much baseball in the Middle East and look at all the problems there. See the fallacy?
    However, we can attribute many human attrocities directly to religion without thinking too hard. The Inquisitions, witch hunts, dozens of religious wars.
    Nobody ever went to war to spread atheism, but certainly there have been those that have waged war that were atheists. There is a difference. A big difference.
    OEJ

4. nikkiee says:

I agree OEJ. I stopping reading at the end of that paragragh. Seems to me too many fundamentalist preachers got their style from Hitler himself. Nascisstic control freaks!

5. Tom says:

Atheism is a joke, those who do not praise the great Flying Spaghetti Monster will never walk alongside him in heaven , past the vast beer volcanoes and stripper factories of the noodly paradise. It appears many have not been enlightened by the The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, read number 8 of the 8 I’d really rather you didn’ts. It appears the great Flying Spaghetti Monster, my lord, was drunk when he unintelligently designed these atheists….

Praise his name.

6. Lethkhar says:

Uh…I know for a fact that Hitler was a devout Christian…At least he claimed he was.

7. One Eyed Jack says:

You’re right, Lethkhar, Hitler was Catholic.
    I didn’t want a wandering post, so I didn’t get into that on my previous post. Although he had a love/hate relationship with his own religion, his Catholic upbringing was one of the forces that shaped his future anti-semitism. Christians hate to admit that Hitler was one of their own, but he was.
    OEJ

8. Symbiont says:

The religious camp love to trumpet the whole ‘Hitler, Pol Pot, Stalin, Mao Ze Dong etc were all atheists’ line.

That doesn’t stop it being complete and utter hogwash.

Hitler very muched believed in an Ayran God and Mein Kampf is basically one long rant to that effect.

Pol Pot, Stalin and Mao Ze Dong all believed in cult of the personality and self-deification which was centered on blind faith. They believed THEY were gods, or at least wanted everyone else to think that.

Those listed above were sociopaths who used the same need to believe that is utilised by religion to ensare and then brutalise those they had power over.

1 2 3 44