new designs

Published November 1st, 2006 by Bobby Henderson

Here’s a preview of a new Church of the FSM t-shirt design:

fsm-1.jpg

Opinions?  Any design ideas/suggestions?

56 Responses to “new designs”

1. will says:

two questions:

1. can i get one of these

2. can i get the myspace code for this

2. Support u Completely says:

I also think that it needs 2 be more noodly… and the midget should be more simplified 2 giv it the originla sort of look… other than that it looks great!

3. Ann says:

didn’t midgits decide that using the “m” word is like using the “n” word?

4. nikkiee says:

@Piraticus XXIII
    “I suggest adding the caption “In the beginning…” at the top.”
    I like that idea too! Simple and suggestive.

5. hexhunter says:

“didn’t midgits decide that using the “m” word is like using the “n” word?”

What’s the n word???

nice image, the FSM does seem a bit meaty, but it makes him look more like an alien from halo, which is kinda stylish…

6. Hadyn says:

Hello people! I’m the designer, just wanted to say thanks for the good feedback and stuff. I didn’t actually realise this had been posted until just now, it’s a rather pleasant surprise!

I’ve noticed one common critique is that he’s a bit meaty. I modeled his appearance mostly off the ‘touched by his noodly appendage’ artwork (featured in the sites header), and tried to keep the meatball/spaghetti proportions similar to what had been seen there. I also used the original sketch as a strong reference, and I don’t think I added much, if any meat to him. It could simply be the strong shadowing that gives him the appearance of being chunkier – that was simply something I had to do in order for it to work well as a single-colour design (which is good for t-shirts and whatnot).

I really like the suggestion of adding “in the beginning…” to the top of the piece, I’ll chat with the shirt company about doing that. The RAmen thing is also a cool idea, but I’m not sure if it’ll be possible to have the shirt printed on both sides. That sort of thing is up to the shirt company, I’ll have to discuss it with them =)

One other thing I think deserves mention:
    I noticed midgit’s got the wrong spelling. This was how it was spelled in the original design, and I wasn’t sure whether to change it to be correct, or to leave it purposefully misspelled for the sake of sticking to the original. What do you guys think?

One other thing I wanted to say is that I too am a huge fan of the original drawing. The thing is, it simply doesn’t translate well to a t shirt design without going in a m ore stylised direction as I have. It’s not that I don’t respect the original, it’s just that certain changes have to be made for it to work as a shirt and all.

Thanks again for all the feedback! All comments and stuff will be read and considered seriously, so keep them coming!

Cheers,

Hadyn

7. nikkiee says:

I like the original spelling coz it’s the sacred “midgit” not just any old ordinary midget!

8. J says:

Midgit is *definitely* the correct spelling. Partly because it makes a handy defence against the ‘saying midget is like using the ‘N’ word’ arguments (for ’tis no ‘midget’ but a ‘midgit’, the FSM’s blessed original), but mainly because That’s What The FSM Says.
    ‘In the beginning at the top is also a *brilliant* idea.
    If you want a RAmen but can’t put it on the back, you could always stick it at the bottom.
    Maybe a couple of extra noodly highlights on the upper, dark area of the FSM’s divine form would make his advanced noodliness more apparent? Mind, if the design’s already been submitted, I really don’t think it matters.
    It be a brilliant shirt, anyway. Great job!