in your “about” section

Published November 7th, 2006 by Bobby Henderson

In your “About” section, it says “even by it’s opponents.”  I just
wanted to point out that “it’s” is a contraction for “it is,” and not
the possessive form of “it.”  You should say “even by its opponents.”

104 Responses to “in your “about” section”

1 7 8 9 10 11 13
  1. Mer says:

Oh no a small grammatical error! Disaster! The whole religion much be flawed now!

2. J says:

Hey, CFT,
    Now *that* sounds like an interesting book. I rather like the idea of the ‘rivers of [my] mind flowing deep, fast and clear’. Not sure it’s wholly possible in my case, though. The best thing I can claim is that, as a friend of mine was fond of remarking, ‘I have hidden shallows’.
    On the Shamanistic career strategy: you go for it, jim lad! I’d like to join in, really, though I’m becoming starkly aware of the fact that spending all my time chatting to folks here and screaming in horror at articles about home-schooled fundamentalists has effectively frozen my life solid. May have to take a step back – or a few – for a while.
    Glad to hear you’re on the case, though. Congratulations on your daughter. And, if you ever change your mind about not burning churches and find yourself in need of an alibi, just drop me a line…

3. Meera says:

“We have to believe in free will. We have no choice.”

Where have I heard that before?

I agree with CFT. Religion drives me crazy. What makes me madder, is that intelligent and highly educated people go along with that nonsense, “Because life would be so much more difficult without God.” I don’t understand that.

And I HATE evangelical Christians. I grew up in a part of India where most of the people were either Hindus or Muslims and there were some pretty poor neighbourhoods there. Evangelical Christians from Belgium, the(?) Netherlands, and the US of A used to visit the poor people and organise huge dinners for them. All the poor folk used to come for the food and there, they would be told that they would go to hell if they didn’t convert, that they babies would go to hell if they weren’t baptized, and stuff like that. And to top it off, they would be given free clothes and told to come again for free food. Now these are people who barely make any money at all; they were either farm laborers or domestic servants and they could not afford to have many children. The evangelists would tell them that condoms were immoral and that AIDS wasn’t spread through sex. And then they would pay every convert.

They actually paid people to convert. How much more hypocritical could they get? They come to a place that is reeling with over-population and AIDS and tell people that condoms were bad and sex didn’t spread AIDS!! Oh, it makes me so mad.

4. nikkiee says:

Hi Meera
    They are doing the same thing in many third world countries as well……like Africa!!!
    RAmen

5. Nowtheworldhasmeaning says:

Meera,
    Africa is the same I did some work out their and visited a few orphanages. I later met up with a catholic priest who told me that they deserved AIDs for being immoral, it was God’s punishment. Due to the fact I was working I could not punch the guy, plus I’d have been shot, but I hope that I see him here in England I’d gladly go to jail for a short time to punch this guys lights out.
    To be fair on the evangelical Christians they are so stupid that they probably don’t believe that AIDs comes from sex. As they object to reading science books they probably really do believe that it is Gods vengance that gives people AIDs.

6. nikkiee says:

That is exactly what they believe. I just read a case study on measles vaccination in the context of herd immunity. Basicallly, a family of evangelical cult followers went on a tour of Scotland, England and Wales (with a stopover in Sri Lanka) while their child was infected with measles. They didn’t “believe” in vaccination.
    The child got sick in England and was diagnosed by two different GPs. They continued their tour, being billeted in a number of private homes on the way. After another child contracted the disease, the authorities were notified.
    When the health authorities caught up with them, they said they were not advised the disease was contagious or of the need for isolation and so continued to travel. In all they made four visits to GPs, four visits to a local medical centre and a visit to a hospital.
    All patients and staff from all these medical facilities and their other contacts had to be traced and, if necessary, offered vaccination. Measles is dangerous for little babies too young to be vaccinated, as well as those with compromised immune systems. It can be have severe ramifications for these groups and can be fata. Now I’m wondering if “disbelief” in all immunisation is a facet of the evangelical cults. Does anyone know?

7. Mad John Kidd says:

I know that Scientology is not real big on doctors or medications. They sell ‘audits’, which are basically audio tapes that promote ‘mental healing’ which leads to physical healing. Or somrthing like that. People spend thousands of dollars on this crap. Not sure about the evangelicals, though I suspect it could be a very similar set up.

8. nikkiee says:

I’m not big on medications myself, mainly because I don’t really trust the drug companies 100%. But I take the stuff if I need to. ( I have a great GP that I trust) I was just so disgusted at these dragging an infectious child (it couldn’t have been having too much fun) all over the place after being told not to, by doctors. Their claim that they weren’t told would be absolute bullshit! They were from OZ too.

1 7 8 9 10 11 13