in your “about” section

Published November 7th, 2006 by Bobby Henderson

In your “About” section, it says “even by it’s opponents.”  I just
wanted to point out that “it’s” is a contraction for “it is,” and not
the possessive form of “it.”  You should say “even by its opponents.”

104 Responses to “in your “about” section”

1 6 7 8 9 10 13
  1. Camp Fire Tales says:

2. One Eyed Jack says:

Good one!
    This statement is false.

3. nikkiee says:

slow night guys?

4. J says:

I’m late again, but just to finish kicking I.Q.:
    ‘I belive in a religon and i do know more about it than most people.’
    I believe in lots of religious. I’ve seen ‘em. I believe them all to be wrong.

‘so hwy don’t you’
    Because there are lots of religions. I’ve seen ‘em. They’re all wrong.
    And less of this ‘hwy’ stuff. That hoity toity, posher-than-thou accent won’t be cuttin’ any ice with pirates, me lad.

5. J says:

@ Camp Fire Tales:
    ‘Only the fool would take trouble to verify that this sentence was composed of ten a’s, three b’s, four c’s, four d’s, forty-six e’s, sixteen f’s, four g’s, thirteen h’s, fifteen i’s, two k’s, nine l’s, four m’s, twenty-five n’s, twenty-four o’s. five p’s, sixteen r’s, forty-one s’s, thirty-seven t’s, ten u’s, eight v’s, eight w’s, four x’s, eleven y’s, twenty-seven commas, twenty-three apostrophes, seven hyphens and, last but not least, a single !.
    [Round of applause]
    Now, be honest: how long did that take you?

6. Penne says:

Four score and seven yarrrrs, I’ll bet!

7. Camp Fire Tales says:

Hi J!

I am honored that you would think I am smart enough to compose that sentence, however this came from Douglas Hofstadter’s wonderful book Metamagical Themas. It’s chock full of stuff to keep the rivers of your mind flowing deep, fast and clear.

I still am amazed over the sentence, the more you think about it, the more you see it’s elegance. While I don’t think it will drive me to madness, as self-referential sentences, logic problems and the boundaries and limitation of speech are some of my hobbies (there’s a thin line between “hobby” and “mental illness”), I know I can rely on this site to test the very limits of my comprehension.

As far as how I look at the issues presented here, about all I can say is “Yeah, what J said”. Your posts are dead on, great stuff!

However, I do have an issue that I would to bring up:

I am no longer giving organized religion the privileged respect that it has demanded for so long. I’ve had it. I’m kinda in favor of the Earth staying in one piece and it concerns me that people who yield enough enormous power to destroy it, rely on beliefs that they cannot logically explain when asked, so hell yeah, I’m taking off the gloves.

I have a 12 year old daughter that was cajoled into going with her friends to church (southern baptist mind you). I also have been exposing her to Buddhism, Bhagavad-Gita, Tibetan Book of the Dead, Atheism, FSM, and so on. She has pretty much come to conclusion that Christianity does not fill her emotional, spiritual, or intellectual needs and is outspoken about the issue. (YAY!). I’ll see if I can get her to post some of her thoughts.

So here I am, certain that my way of philosophy yields a richer, deeper, vibrant, happier and vastly more rewarding life, teaching my daughter to be a free thinker, but I DO want to discuss my philosophy with other’s with different beliefs. I want to become a modern day Shaman and give them experiences that will help them see things with a broader perspective, and a new sense of wonder. I like to call it The Art of Astonishment, as I personally believe that astonishment is our natural state of mind.

Q: Does this make me a Fundamentalist Atheist?

I always started worrying when I heard stuff like this come out of other’s mouths and now I’m sounding like a Southern Atheist Witch-Doctor.

And no, I’m not going to go on a rampage trying to convert Christians to Atheists or FSM devotees, burn down churches, steal stem cells, fuck their sons or become a vigilante to stop the horrendous acts of child abuse that goes on behind church doors. (I must admit that it would be a day not easily forgotten).

People have to make the big important grownup decisions all on their own. I simply want to give their mind a little breathing room and broader perspective to look at themselves and the world around them from a different angle for a moment.

JL

“We have to believe in free-will, we have no choice”.

8. St John the Blasphemist says:

I wonder if anyone has pointed out to Douglas Hofstadter his misuse of all 23 apostrophes in the above statement. When you write about individual letters of the alphabet, you should use either single quotation marks, (which look the same as an apostrophe, but consist of one on either side of the letter in question. ie. ten ‘a’s, three ‘b’s, and four ‘c’s), or italics (which don’t exist here so I can’t give you an example).
    St John the Blasphemist