Church of the Non-Believers

Published November 2nd, 2006 by Bobby Henderson

logo28_wiredmag_2.gif

There’s an interesting article recently published by WIRED titled The Church of the Non-BelieversA band of intellectual brothers is mounting a crusade against belief in God. Are they winning converts, or merely preaching to the choir?

The number of nonreligious people in the US is something nearer to 30 million than 20 million,” he says. “That’s more than all the Jews in the world put together. I think we’re in the same position the gay movement was in a few decades ago. There was a need for people to come out. The more people who came out, the more people had the courage to come out. I think that’s the case with atheists. They are more numerous than anybody realizes.

…the big war is not between evolution and creationism, but between naturalism and supernaturalism.

There’s lots of interesting things in this article, including a few mentions of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Link to the article.

274 Responses to “Church of the Non-Believers”

1. Mad John Kidd says:

@ Alchemist

Actually, I’m an ex-pat Manc. I’ve got a US citiezenship and have spent quite a few years here now. I still enjoy a bit of Brit speak now and again, reminds me of home. These yanks just don’t get my accent sometimes.

2. nikkiee says:

A friend just sent me a “keeping in touch text” with a riddle.
    You weigh a whale at a whaling station.
    Where would you weigh a pie????
    I don’t get it. Does anyone know, so as I can text back and uphold my smartarse reputation?

3. Mad John Kidd says:

In the face? I’m guessing, I don’t know, luv. Please let us know when you find out.

4. Mad John Kidd says:

How about: In the sky. Ya know, like pie in the sky? Okay, I’m grasping at straws here.

laters

5. Wench Nikkiee says:

Apparently the answer is “Somewhere over the rainbow, weigh a pie”
    Friend is most happy with self after emailing to 3 friends and no one knew the answer.
    I wonder why!
    RAmen

6. Wench Nikkiee says:

You were close Mad John, in the same stratospere at least!

7. Mad John Kidd says:

Ooookay. Can’t be bad, actually. Obviously, “weigh a pie” over my head.

I came across this little gem. Sums up the whole mystery, really.

Oh, the thrill of discovery!

RAmen

8. Wench Nikkiee says:

Yeah. Must have a look through that site.
    Don’t know if I mentioned it on this thread this morning, (can’t see it here) but I only just found out where the other two oars, mentioned in the “your god is a homo” post came from.
    In case anyone missed it