Salon.com Richard Dawkins Interview

Published October 15th, 2006 by Bobby Henderson

salon_logo.pngstory.jpg

Salon.com has an interesting interview with Richard Dawkins titled The Flying Spaghetti Monster.

In the roiling debate between science and religion, it would be hard to exaggerate the enormous influence of Richard Dawkins. The British scientist is religion’s chief prosecutor — “Darwin’s rottweiler,” as one magazine called him — and quite likely the world’s most famous atheist. Speaking to the American Humanist Association, Dawkins once said, “I think a case can be made that faith is one of the world’s great evils, comparable to the smallpox virus but harder to eradicate.”

Link to article.

36 Responses to “Salon.com Richard Dawkins Interview”

1. James in Germany says:

As I’ve said before (on another thread), evolution is a godless religion requiring FAITH to believe that it’s true. So is evolution one of the “world’s great evils”?

You people celebrate “Doggie” Dawkins as if he’s another Einstein. Then again, Einstein (who had an astronomically high IQ) said that the more he learned about nature the more he believed in GOD.

2. J says:

James in Germany,

Einstein also said:
    ‘It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions…I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly.’
    and
    ‘I am a deeply religious nonbeliever. This is a somewhat new kind of religion.’
    and
    ‘The idea of a personal God is quite alien to me and seems even naïve.’
    Einstein was viciously attacked by religious spokespeople during his life for what they saw as his atheistic views. Like most other people of high IQ and good education, he was essentially an atheist.
    (You can find all this in Dawkins’ recent book, by the way. Or, if you don’t trust Dawkins, I’m sure you could research Einstein yourself.)
    Yes, you did say on another thread (‘Was the world created by god, evolution or pasta?’) that ‘evolution is a godless religion requiring FAITH to believe that it’s true’. But (sit down for this) just because you say something, it doesn’t automatically become true. Evolution is not a religion in any meaningful sense of the word religion. Evolution is no more a religion than gravity, electronics or plate tectonics are religions. It is the most basic, most logical and least imagination-fuelled consistent explanation that can be reached from the evidence. And, as I have said to you on that same other thread, there are stacks and stacks of evidence.

3. St. Jimmy says:

Re James in Deutschland

Um… Dawkins may as well believe in the Einsteinian God, because it’s just a rebranding of “wow look at that isn’t that awe-inspiring” given that SCIENCE (makes me sound so obnoxious) has told us whatever “that” is.

It’s not faith that’s required to get evolution, just human reason (as opposed to…? one might ask). There are some things humans just _know_ like “I am alive” and “I wish to remain alive”. From there on in you can make mistakes, but evolution isn[‘t one of them.

May I be swiftly stricken by a Noodly Appendage, I want beer and strippers!

4. Mike Meier says:

Can an athiest become a diety, or a saint-like entity, or a commodore, while remaining an athiest?

How exactly does one get excommunicated these days, and if you manage to do it, would a write-up in the local newspaper be appropriate, if not expected?

5. The Aussie says:

“How exactly does one get excommunicated these days…?”
    Mike, I covered this elsewhere on the site, cant be assed finding it, but its quite simple.
    Piss in the communion wine (if catholic) and make sure you have a friend with a camera handy. Polaroid is best, because then you can whip out all the photos just after commmunion is over.
    Other ideas: (if in the land of faith healers) Every time they try and heal you, scream out in pain.
    Get in touch with some FSM friends, arrange a trip to the hq of the desired excommunicator, (If catholic, you’ll need a fair bit of cash) and stage a protest of a similar vein to those in london.

6. Mike Meier says:

The Aussie, great suggestions, but would these really work? Would the pope actually send me a letter or an email telling me I was excommunicated? I think it would be fun to get excommunicated for real. Or in the words of an early prophet, Country Joe McDonald, “Be the first one on your block, to have your soul cut off from the flock”.

Unfortunately, I was raised Southern Baptist/Missouri Synode Lutheran, but baptized Lutheran, so I’ll have to find an offical way to become unLutheranized. (Historical note, I would have been born a Catholic except the church my G’Ma went to turned their back on her when she got pregnant with my dad out of wedblock.)

7. Mike Meier says:

Found this – how to get excommunicated: http://www.atheistfoundation.org.au/excommunication.htm.
    Now I’m looking for actual true stories of modern excommunications.

8. St. Jimmy says:

Mike, “atheist” is a relative word, just like “pagan” and “sect”. Just like Dawkins says, “Most of us are atheists towards 99.9% of all of the deities man has worshipped throughout history.” Any Xtian saint was an atheist towards all gods apart from the god of X.