Richard Dawkins

Published October 4th, 2006 by Bobby Henderson

World-famous science author Professor Richard Dawkins, during an interview about his new book The God Delusion, mentions the Flying Spaghetti Monster. (Around 1:50).

[youtube]kfnDdMRxMHY[/youtube]

It seems that he’s saying the existence of the Christian God is as likely as the existence of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and that you can’t disprove either. Perhaps he’s not aware of the evidence we’ve gathered in support of the existence of the FSM, and all the academic endorsements, etc. Or, maybe he’s tentative about revealing his true faith, Pastafarianism.

*update* – I Just found an interesting comment:

Regarding your suspicion of Dawkins’ closet Pastafarianism. I quote from The God Delusion, p53:

“I am delighted to see that The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster has now been published as a book, to great acclaim. I haven’t read it myself, but who needs to read a gospel when you just *know* it’s true?”

I’d say that’s evidence for Dawkins’ Pastafarianism at least as strong as the Global Temperature/Pirates correlation, wouldn’t you?

*update 2* – Further evidence of Richard Dawkins’ Pastafarian beliefs: On today’s NPR Science Friday radio show, Professor Dawkins again mentions the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Link to the radio show.

Here’s another good video of Richard Dawkins.

[youtube]AB2vmj8eyMk[/youtube]

147 Responses to “Richard Dawkins”

1. One Eyed Jack says:

Thank-you for the links, Anthony. Great stuff. If this series become available on DVD it will have to be placed in the horror section. It is terribly frightening to watch the self assured, arrogant ignorance of Pastor Ted Haggard, knowing that he has the ear of President Bush and other world leaders.
    May his Noodly Greatness deliver us from ignorance. RAmen.

2. Gomez says:

J and Christian,

I suggest you get hold of a copy of the radio documentary by the BBC broadcast 3 or 4 years back, entitled “The Real Jesus Christ” it is a very interesting listen that documents the life of the historical Jesus and what he did and didn’t claim to be. It cites all it’s sources.

It must be available on the net somewhere as an mp3, bittorrent for example. If that fails, you can stream it direct from the Beeb at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/audio/realjesus.ram

Cheers,
    Alex

3. Lola says:

Didn’t know how to send this direct, but here is an obvious FSM baby. So, soon there will be more of them?

Lola

4. leveller says:

There was a third-century Emperor Tacitus, but the source Christian is referring to is the Roman [I]author[/I] Tacitus, who was indeed writing in the first century AD. He is best known for his [I]Annales[/I], or “Annals”, which give a year-by-year account of the corruptions of contemporary, early Imperial government.

5. laua anne says:

Thank you for being smart and funny. Thank you for making my day lighter.
    Laura Anne

6. Christian says:

Thanks leveller for backing me up. Wikipedia also has an article on Tacitus at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacitus. The quote I gave is reproduced in the wikipedia article on Nero http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nero under the heading The Great Fire of Rome, which also discusses his persecution of Christians. I have the quote from Is The New Testament History by Paul Barnett.
    To Nick2, I agree that the evidence for evolution is excellent, and I find it convincing. I wouldn’t suggest ignoring this or any theory just because there’s a slight chance it might not be correct. But determining which of a number of competing theories best explains the evidence involves a personal judgment. There is no universally accepted way to decide which of two alternatives is the most likely. Such judgments are the essence of faith.

7. nyx says:

anyone can add whatever information they want to wikipedia, whether it’s true or not. just thought i’d throw that out there.
    RAmen

8. Gregaghetti says:

Hi Christian,

I was interested to read your citation of Tacitus and decided to pull my copy of the shelf to have a look for myself – I really wanted to see what the context was … rather than to see if the historian was prepared to dispute the existance of the chap you worship.

Interestingly Tacitus seems to have little sympathy for them, first ‘Nero had self-acknowledged Christians arrested’ then they grassed up their neighbours and were ‘condemed – not so much for their incendiarism as for their anti-social tendencies’ (which may also be translated as ‘because the human race detested them’).

The simple fact that Christians existed around AD64 doesn’t seem to me to be proof of the existance of the christian god. Far more people then believed that Jupiter (the god not the planet) existed – simply because a belief can be traced from antiquity doesn’t make it right!

I went to a Christian Brothers school, and after a fierce emotional and philosophical struggle became an atheist when I was about 19. If most of my relatives, including my religious parents, had not died when I was young I would probably still be suffering under The God Delusion. Now that I’m 45 I’ve decided to convert to Monsterism simply so that people will take me seriously as a person who has faith.

Please think critically about your faith – once you’ve seen through all the traps that priests have put in your head you’ll be free to choose a new one.

I’ve chosen the FSM.