Richard Dawkins

Published October 4th, 2006 by Bobby Henderson

World-famous science author Professor Richard Dawkins, during an interview about his new book The God Delusion, mentions the Flying Spaghetti Monster. (Around 1:50).

[youtube]kfnDdMRxMHY[/youtube]

It seems that he’s saying the existence of the Christian God is as likely as the existence of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and that you can’t disprove either. Perhaps he’s not aware of the evidence we’ve gathered in support of the existence of the FSM, and all the academic endorsements, etc. Or, maybe he’s tentative about revealing his true faith, Pastafarianism.

*update* – I Just found an interesting comment:

Regarding your suspicion of Dawkins’ closet Pastafarianism. I quote from The God Delusion, p53:

“I am delighted to see that The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster has now been published as a book, to great acclaim. I haven’t read it myself, but who needs to read a gospel when you just *know* it’s true?”

I’d say that’s evidence for Dawkins’ Pastafarianism at least as strong as the Global Temperature/Pirates correlation, wouldn’t you?

*update 2* – Further evidence of Richard Dawkins’ Pastafarian beliefs: On today’s NPR Science Friday radio show, Professor Dawkins again mentions the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Link to the radio show.

Here’s another good video of Richard Dawkins.

[youtube]AB2vmj8eyMk[/youtube]

147 Responses to “Richard Dawkins”

1. J says:

@ ‘trick
    *That* is absolutely *brilliant*! (Nice site, btw!)

2. Christian says:

To J,
    I agree that in Science we usually take smaller risks than in religion. However, I don’t agree that Science is an alternative to Christianity. Atheism is an alternative to Christianity, and in my judgment atheism is as risky, perhaps even riskier than Christianity.
    As this page is now off the ‘Latest Posts’ list, I guess it’s got old. I probably won’t check it again after this. But if J or anyone else wants to continue this conversation under the ‘for my part, my Christian beliefs…’ post, I’ll hang around there for a bit longer.

3. Nowtheworldhasmeaning says:

Christian,
    I have always been told that I should always choose things based on the evidence presented to me. Now it is not a crime to make a mistake if the evidence is incorrect what is a crime is to go against all evidence and let fear be your guide.
    The one huge fear the the whole of humanity share is being alone, God is the ultimate “whistling in the Dark” it is simply a comfort blanked.
    People can not let go of the God myth because they dont want to be left alone, but you have to ask yourself is this enough of a reason to hide the truth from yourself? If God does not exist is the world any less beautiful, is the variety and complexity of nature any less astonishing? Is the universe any less of a wonder?

4. J says:

@ All pastafarians, atheists, humanists, Brights, and free-thinkers,
    Ahoy there!
    I’m copying this post onto a few threads because I’d like as many people as possible to notice it. (Bobby, if you should read this, is there any chance of a new thread?)
    You might have spotted on these pages Richard Dawkins’ high-profile references to the FSM, unmasking himself as at the very least an honorary pastafarian and certainly a friend of pirates the world over. He’s done his bit for the FSM – here’s a chance to return the favour.
    His many books on evolution and, in particular, his recent book ‘The God Delusion’ have influenced a lot of people here.
    Anyway, here in Britain, one of our national newspapers, The Daily Telegraph, in conjunction with Morgan Stanley, is running the third annual ‘Great Britons’ awards. People are invited to vote for the British person they think has been the most ‘Great’ (somehow) in each of seven categories.
    Me salty guts tell me that a hearty lot of pirates’ll want to support their own and put their cutlasses behind Richard Dawkins, by far and away Britain’s noodliest man of 2006, and doubtless also he of the biggest meatballs.
    I nominated him earlier today, in the ‘Campaigning’ category. You can add your nominations by visiting greatbritons.org. It takes barely a minute and might help one of the FSM’s finest sea-dogs to the gain the legendary status he deserves. You can even put in a 50-word explanation of why he gets your vote, which would probably strengthen the case (if you’ve anything to say). If you’d like to know more about him, try visiting richarddawkins.net.
    Douglas Adams fans might like to note that Dawkins and Adams were close friends and that Adams credited Dawkins’ books ‘The Blind Watchmaker’ and ‘The Selfish Gene’ as having influenced his reasoning towards atheism. Dawkins wrote a ‘Lament for Douglas’ immediately after Adams’ death, and delivered a eulogy at his funeral.
    I’ve a second reason for recommending this. The Telegraph ran an article by regular columnist Charles Moor on Saturday that dismissed ‘The God Delusion’ as ‘fashionable’ and gave a very selective, wilfully interpreted representation of its content. It’s a good newspaper but pretty thoroughly conservative – not an obvious place for pastafarianism to thrive. In light of this, I think it doubly worthwhile to demonstrate the strength of support that Richard enjoys among the world’s many pirates to the Telegraph.
    (Note – I’ve left http:// off the website addresses in this post, as the first couple of times I tried to post it, it got stuck awaiting moderation. Hopefully this’ll help.)
    Nominations for the awards continue until November 24th. If ye can spare a second of plunderin’ time, set a course for greatbritons.org and add your cannon to a broadside for free thinking and the FSM!
    May His Noodly Appendage be upon ye all.
    RAmen

5. One Eyed Jack says:

Update:
    The Root of All Evil is now available for sale in the US. You can order it at
    While you are there I recommend you check out the rest of the site. Michael Shermer is a charismatic advocate of reason and science. If you’ve never heard of him, climb out from under that rock you’re living under and take a look.
    OEJ

6. fucking shemale gallery says:

fucking shemale gallery…

Actual articles about fucking shemale gallery and more. …

7. alex watt says:

To Prof Hawkins
    The discussion in which it was said, “Faith is more important than evidence,” could there be more damnation of logic?
    ooreck Viewpark

8. Terrell Seibert says:

I agree totally with what you are saying. My only problem is that once I do try to make a change, it works, however I always revert again to my similar ways. Sticking to them is what I find difficult.