It’s not accurate to say that FSM attracts intelligent followers

Published October 22nd, 2006 by Bobby Henderson

It’s not accurate to say that FSM attracts intelligent followers by its nature. Genuinely intelligent people don’t have time for the joke, so what we get is people who know nothing and want a place to mock religion, as well as people who have read up a bit on evolution or have read up on Dawkins and have a few points on which they can argue.

-f

150 Responses to “It’s not accurate to say that FSM attracts intelligent followers”

1. Reverend Aquaman says:

I just think that this site is a good way for all of us to take ourselves and a our beliefs and just laugh at ourselves, no matter what we believe in.

I think the big problem with the world today, from my perspective, is that we all just need to be a bit more tolerant of each other. I know that is not a the most popular-practised idea. But I find that at the basis of most of these religions is tolerance and understanding of your fellow brother or sister.

I think that FSM is great and really puts a smile on my face.

I have always believed that pirates were mystical. Good to find someone else who shares my beliefs.

RA

2. Solo says:

“Genuinely intelligent people don’t have time for the joke”

Sir, you are confusing the word “intelligent” for “busy”.

Intelligent people have all the time they want to devote to anything they fancy. Busy people, it can be argued, have little time for anything but what they consider important. And even they there may be some busy people finding the chrurch of FSM an important topic of research.

I consider you do not have a point and label you irremediably as a buffoon.

3. nikkiee says:

RAmen Solo!

4. nikkiee says:

…It’s not accurate to say that FSM attracts intelligent followers by its nature….
    I personally disagree. I have seen wonderful, as well as many, displays of intelligence at this site.

5. nubsawce says:

Basicly, lets take what -f has to say litteraly:
    Intelligent people have no sense of humour. If we were to take this seriously, we’d find that he cannot be intelligent (as he browses this site, and therefore has some sort of sense of humour). And therefore either way, if he’s right or wrong he musn’t be taken seriously. Foolproof logic :)

I’m sorry, but if you “don’t have time for the joke”, you don’t have time to live life, for what it was ment for.

Frick, even Dawkins has a good sense of humour, he was on colbert for god sakes. I wouldn’t be surprised if he visits this site regularly.

6. Davey says:

Hello -f,
    First of all, let me start by saying that I’m not going to *personally* insult you.
    I’m educated to GCE level. Here in the UK (I don’t know where you’re based, so I’ll explain the whole thing, for the benefit of other posters if nothing else), that’s the exams you take at the age of 16. You can leave school after that, which I did. No college, no University. I’m seriously uneducated.
    However…
    I run a successful business (my third), designing and developing software. I play music, I climb, I involve myself in local politics. I debate *anything* with my friends. I read *lots* (not just trash thrillers and detective novels, either – although they’re fun in their own way). I correspond with lots of people via email.
    Most people that know me don’t believe that I never went to University, but I didn’t. Some of the most intelligent people I personally know didn’t – they got on with becoming millionaires instead.
    I spend time posting to this board because I have time on my hands right now – I’m on a break, between contracts. I don’t find that I’m getting any dumber by having a rest!
    I guess the points I’m trying to make here are:
    a) Education is no indication of intelligence – you can be dead smart without one.
    b) Having time on your hands is no indication of intelligence – in fact, I’d say the smartest people can probably afford more leisure time.
    c) None of the above negates the common experience here that most (but by no means all) the commentators that come here to knock FSM *miss its point* – and what inference are we to draw from that? They’re somehow *too smart* to get the joke?
    d) Finally, if someone’s in too big a hurry to read what FSM is about, properly, before posting a negative comment about it, then no, that doesn’t neccessarily make the unintelligent. But it does make them a jerk.

7. Martien says:

“Genuinely intelligent people don’t have time for the joke”

This is a joke, right? I laughed when I read it. So I conclude that -f has time for a joke. So from this argument I can draw the logical conclusion that -f is not genuine, or not intelligent, or neigther.

8. Don Lardini says:

Now let us all huddle together and re-affirm our faith in Him before engaging in a time consuming and mind numbing counting of the pasta. I shall bury my head in the pasta and I shall receive the comfort of knowing that there is a monster; and he is made of spaghetti. And he took up the sauce. And low his meatballs were placed to the right and to the left. And the strands of spaghetti, though initially tepid were elevated to a state of warmth.

Rejoice ye all. RAmen.