FSM Protest In London

Published October 19th, 2006 by Bobby Henderson

pirate-lone-demo-web2.jpg

Hi,

I thought you’d like to see my pic of the FSM demo I held in Parliament Square (London). I’ve also sent you a copy of the pamphlet I made.

Perhaps a little background is in order.

In 2005, the British Government passed a law called the “Serious Organised Crime And Police Act” (SOCPA). Buried deep within new regulations dealing with money laundering etc was an additional, entirely unrelated provision that made it illegal to protest anywhere within 1 kilometre of Parliament without getting express permission from the Police a week before the protest (yup – protesting is a serious organised crime!). The rules were designed to get rid of a guy called Brian Haw, who has been protesting about Iraq (first sanctions against, and now the war) for 5 years non-stop (it hasn’t worked – he’s still there!).

Since the law came into force on August 1st 2005, people have been arrested AND convicted under SOCPA for such heinous crimes as standing at the Cenotaph (the UK’s national war memorial) reading the names of British soldiers killed in Iraq.

Under the principal of “defiance through compliance”, the 3rd Wednesday of every month has seen a series of Mass Lone Demonstrations against SOCPA. The idea is this: what if loads of protesters all turned up at the same time all wanting individual permission from the police to demonstrate? As the police can only really turn down an application on the grounds of public safety or public order, that means if 100 people turn up and apply for permission, then the unfortunate police have to license and approve 100 lone demonstrations. So we all troop down to Charing Cross police station a week before and apply. Come the 3rd Wednesday, we all meet in Parliament Square to demonstrate about – well whatever you feel like.

Anyway.

Last month I read in the paper that since the Creationists have had an arse whipping over “intelligent design” in US schools, they’ve turned their attentions to the UK, on account of we don’t have rules about the separation of church and state.

In September a creationist group calling themselves “Truth in Science” sent a pack to every secondary school (read ‘high school’ if you’re in the US) promoting the teaching of intelligent design as a counterpoint to the proven science of evolution, and including lesson plans and materials for GCSE students (GCSEs are the UK’s centralised secondary education school exit exams).

As it is just as important for UK students to learn about the Flying Spaghetti Monster alongside the scientific theory of evolution and non-scientific metaphysical ideas such as “Intelligent Design”, I figured I’d use my Mass Lone Demo for this month to spread the truth of His Noodliness to the people in and around Parliament Square.

It worked really well – I made an anglicised version of the FSM leaflet to distribute and stood by the gates of Parliament in full pirate dress extolling the virtues of Flying Spaghetti Monsterism. Mostly I got just smiles, but there were enough “yars” from people to make me think there are a lot of closet pirates in London. I even got some people to stop and listen to my brief description of the history of the Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, how the FSM created the world and why they should become pirates as well.

Peace

Jo Selwood

Attached: leaflet.pdf

Link to propaganda materials

81 Responses to “FSM Protest In London”

1. nikkiee says:

@wtf?
    “by the way, no pirates dont cause global warming”
    Pull your head out of your…..
    You are waffling and you have no idea of what it is you are waffling about!

2. OrionLoki says:

50 year cycles? wtf is wtf on!? Im a chemical engineer and my g/f is finishing a PhD in eviromental science … thats weather… ‘n stuff (to translate). So Im pretty sure between the two of us we’d have heard of this 50 year Ozone cycle. Have you not seen the graph? Good lord man! There so clearly a LINE… how can you dispute the line…. its hotter these days…. and we are notably pirate-less on this side of the pond, at least! QED (I rest my case)
    I can but hope your stuck by the astral meatball of enlightenment and brought round to the true reality of FSM

Oh, and chalk up one more member to the Manchester order.

RAmen

PS Yeeaarghhhh!!

3. Bruce says:

I have absolute proof against intelligent design – Just look at President Bush!

4. Penne says:

TEE-HEE-HEE

5. Nowtheworldhasmeaning says:

wtf?
    First off I think that your naem says it all “What the fuck is going on?” must be a come phrase coming out of your mouth.
    If you could read then you will find that the FSM is mostly a US religion, the British have taken it up but only recently.
    50 year cycle hahaha, I’ll remind you of that when millions of refuges start wanting to live in your house because you have just sunk half the worlds land mass. If you think that global warming is nothing then you are in for a big suprise you ignorant CUNT!

6. Nowtheworldhasmeaning says:

OrionLoki welcome mate good to see another Northerner!

7. fred zepplin says:

Praise be!More British converts to the true faith of FSM.Here in the port city of Liverpool(home to more than a few pirates in it’s time)I’m glad to know I’m not alone.
    Well done on the London protest-glad to see the bystanders were friendly.and that stupid laws are not accepted.

8. frogboy says:

All I can say is well done!!
    So glad that im not the only one in the UK, bout time that it finally breached the waters, cant believe the pirates never got here sooner with this amazing concept. litle off track but I have just seen the new movie Borat, and thier is a scene in it in which he is in a church in America and they are all total fruit loops, speaking in tongues and quivering, how cant they call anyone else crazy (i have been reading the hate mail section of the site,makes for some good reading. I cant believe that in the 21st century Evolution is still dismissed by so many, Darwin will be turning in his grave) when they spend thier sundays jibbering and going on when they could be using sundays for their proper use, recovering from all the previous night pillaging!!!!!!!
    ships ahoy
    cya when i next drop anchor