20415 Views

FSM Protest In London

Published October 19th, 2006 by Bobby Henderson

pirate-lone-demo-web2.jpg

Hi,

I thought you’d like to see my pic of the FSM demo I held in Parliament Square (London). I’ve also sent you a copy of the pamphlet I made.

Perhaps a little background is in order.

In 2005, the British Government passed a law called the “Serious Organised Crime And Police Act” (SOCPA). Buried deep within new regulations dealing with money laundering etc was an additional, entirely unrelated provision that made it illegal to protest anywhere within 1 kilometre of Parliament without getting express permission from the Police a week before the protest (yup – protesting is a serious organised crime!). The rules were designed to get rid of a guy called Brian Haw, who has been protesting about Iraq (first sanctions against, and now the war) for 5 years non-stop (it hasn’t worked – he’s still there!).

Since the law came into force on August 1st 2005, people have been arrested AND convicted under SOCPA for such heinous crimes as standing at the Cenotaph (the UK’s national war memorial) reading the names of British soldiers killed in Iraq.

Under the principal of “defiance through compliance”, the 3rd Wednesday of every month has seen a series of Mass Lone Demonstrations against SOCPA. The idea is this: what if loads of protesters all turned up at the same time all wanting individual permission from the police to demonstrate? As the police can only really turn down an application on the grounds of public safety or public order, that means if 100 people turn up and apply for permission, then the unfortunate police have to license and approve 100 lone demonstrations. So we all troop down to Charing Cross police station a week before and apply. Come the 3rd Wednesday, we all meet in Parliament Square to demonstrate about – well whatever you feel like.

Anyway.

Last month I read in the paper that since the Creationists have had an arse whipping over “intelligent design” in US schools, they’ve turned their attentions to the UK, on account of we don’t have rules about the separation of church and state.

In September a creationist group calling themselves “Truth in Science” sent a pack to every secondary school (read ‘high school’ if you’re in the US) promoting the teaching of intelligent design as a counterpoint to the proven science of evolution, and including lesson plans and materials for GCSE students (GCSEs are the UK’s centralised secondary education school exit exams).

As it is just as important for UK students to learn about the Flying Spaghetti Monster alongside the scientific theory of evolution and non-scientific metaphysical ideas such as “Intelligent Design”, I figured I’d use my Mass Lone Demo for this month to spread the truth of His Noodliness to the people in and around Parliament Square.

It worked really well – I made an anglicised version of the FSM leaflet to distribute and stood by the gates of Parliament in full pirate dress extolling the virtues of Flying Spaghetti Monsterism. Mostly I got just smiles, but there were enough “yars” from people to make me think there are a lot of closet pirates in London. I even got some people to stop and listen to my brief description of the history of the Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, how the FSM created the world and why they should become pirates as well.

Peace

Jo Selwood

Attached: leaflet.pdf

Link to propaganda materials

81 Responses to “FSM Protest In London”

1. frogboy says:

Im back, turns out it was a short journey, only a couple of lines up as it happens. This is a message to WTF?, Im not going to be abusive in any way shape or form but you are a FUCKING REJECT!!!!
    Anyone these days has the common sense to see the world in the true light through science and understanding. And not through blind faith in a gospel written about a guy around 400 years after his death by a bunch of dominating control freaks who wanted to find a way to control mass populations (hence religion). As regards to your attempt at an argument regarding global warming i can only assume that you are a ignorant american (no offence to the americans who are true believers, and obviously not ignorant). There is a cycle however but i think you will find that it is slightly longer than 50years.(look up milankovitch cycles) this will maybe give you some better grounding in your next argument you try to have regarding this subect.
    apologies for the long rant but people like wtf? really annoy me!!
    ignorance is bliss if you live in an ignorant world, thankfully there are pockets of this world where ignorance no longer prevails

2. ricky bobby says:

I actually completely agree with “WTF?” Even though he was very crude in what he said he does have a point. The idea that the decreasing number of pirates is the cause of global warming is insane. Actually, global warming isn’t even real. It’s kept alive by the liberal media and wacko enviormentalists. As far as your “graph” that you have to support as evidence, its moronic. I could make a graph about complete b*******, doesn’t mean that its true. I am truly not trying to get everyone upset or anything, I just strongly disagree with what you believe in.

3. steve says:

that must have been pretty embarrassing. ill bet 95% of those people thought you had either smoked heavily that morning or you were just an asshole looking for some sort of attention.

4. Chinius P Spiderbeak says:

Arrrrr big up to the British pirates in t’area. Just found out about this fsm lark today and upset my dear old mum by stating my intentions to wear a pirate costume over xmas dinner. She must tolerate or face the wrath from His Noodly Appendage. I havent perused this entire website in all its glory as of yet so could someone advise me of the festive season traditions expected of this new way of life. Is the end of december a holy season for all pastafarians or are we free to celebrate with beer and strippers anytime when one feels the urge? I do hope so…Anyhoo if theres any Scottish esp Glasgow plunderers of booty afoot then jump on board my myspace site called spiderbeak to discuss keeping an eye on the truth in science landlubbers and ways to pillage Edinburgh. RAmen

5. Teddy says:

Another one up for the north :)
    That chap down in Plymouth (can’t remember his name) that beat off the Armada was a pirate. We should have a national celebration of Drake. Just remembered his name. Sir Francis Drake, and he was more interested in looting than anything else ;) Says it all.
    Can we please put a copyright on the pamphlet and ban it’s redistribution.
    We are all going to do it anyway, at least it would be more fitting for the cause…
    Nikiee, slightly worried about your earlier comment on Islam. It is not a bad religion, it does not encourage ill doing to others or anything of the sort. It is just a few (yes a few) extremists who twist it and use it as an excuse. Christians, read Rep of Ireland, have been known to do the same. Ditto Hitler. He just did it on a much bigger scale (yes ‘God’ told him). Obviously it’s not the religion, just some fsck.d individuals. Lets not misunderstand the religion, that will only fuel the idiots. And, maybe unfairly upset a few.

6. Chinius P Spiderbeak says:

if anyone wants to tell tony blair they dont want creationism taught in UK schools then go here—–> http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/faithschools/

7. Sebastian says:

Can I become the official representative of the Church of the FSM in Argentina? Some of my college mates need a lesson on tolerating those of us who do believe in our tomato-soaked omnipotent lord, and getting the title would make me feel backed up by my brothers-in-yars. :D

8. dd1a19d507d7f8b5d5fbb1fced00b7b5 says: