feedback

Published October 11th, 2006 by Bobby Henderson

I respect your opinions about religion, whatever they are, but I don’t think it is a good idea to offend people and represent Michelangelo’s painting the way you do. I do think that respect and dialogue would be much better.

M.

75 Responses to “feedback”

1. supersize me says:

Is Michelangelo really going to come and bitchslap me for showing his painting in such a way?

2. RAT says:

Offending dead people?? I didn’t know you could do that. Oh well Big M will get over it! I much prefer offending live people. Deepest appologies for all dead persons I have offended!

Get F#*Ked all of you who are still living!!!

3. faghettini says:

This is hardly the first place that the painting has satirized. Of the hundreds of things people could take offense to on this site, that is the least valid.

4. Mike Meier says:

Why should religion automatically get respect? Why shouldn’t it be subject to the same types of inquiry and held to the same standards of evidence that science, or practically anything else in a sensible person’s life is? And, why should it be off limits for such delightful parody as FSM? (To true believers, no offense intended.)

5. Obscurans says:

Why? Because religions have god on their side, stupid. And go to china and every 10 metres you’ll find a replica of some nice masterpiece.

6. Someone says:

I think this is hilarious…everyone who is offended by this does not win with their complaints. Relax guys, stop being so pissed off. If you wouldn’t have tried to push christianity on the world so much, maybe things would be different. But they aren’t. FSM happened anyway. And there’s really nothing you can do about it. So complain all you want. It just makes us laugh. So pretty much…you lose.

7. J says:

@ All pastafarians, atheists, humanists, Brights, and free-thinkers,
    Ahoy there!
    I’m copying this post onto a few threads because I’d like as many people as possible to notice it. (Bobby, if you should read this, is there any chance of a new thread?)
    You might have spotted on these pages Richard Dawkins’ high-profile references to the FSM, unmasking himself as at the very least an honorary pastafarian and certainly a friend of pirates the world over. He’s done his bit for the FSM – here’s a chance to return the favour.
    His many books on evolution and, in particular, his recent book ‘The God Delusion’ have influenced a lot of people here.
    Anyway, here in Britain, one of our national newspapers, The Daily Telegraph, in conjunction with Morgan Stanley, is running the third annual ‘Great Britons’ awards. People are invited to vote for the British person they think has been the most ‘Great’ (somehow) in each of seven categories.
    Me salty guts tell me that a hearty lot of pirates’ll want to support their own and put their cutlasses behind Richard Dawkins, by far and away Britain’s noodliest man of 2006, and doubtless also he of the biggest meatballs.
    I nominated him earlier today, in the ‘Campaigning’ category. You can add your nominations by visiting greatbritons.org. It takes barely a minute and might help one of the FSM’s finest sea-dogs to the gain the legendary status he deserves. You can even put in a 50-word explanation of why he gets your vote, which would probably strengthen the case (if you’ve anything to say). If you’d like to know more about him, try visiting richarddawkins.net.
    Douglas Adams fans might like to note that Dawkins and Adams were close friends and that Adams credited Dawkins’ books ‘The Blind Watchmaker’ and ‘The Selfish Gene’ as having influenced his reasoning towards atheism. Dawkins wrote a ‘Lament for Douglas’ immediately after Adams’ death, and delivered a eulogy at his funeral.
    I’ve a second reason for recommending this. The Telegraph ran an article by regular columnist Charles Moor on Saturday that dismissed ‘The God Delusion’ as ‘fashionable’ and gave a very selective, wilfully interpreted representation of its content. It’s a good newspaper but pretty thoroughly conservative – not an obvious place for pastafarianism to thrive. In light of this, I think it doubly worthwhile to demonstrate the strength of support that Richard enjoys among the world’s many pirates to the Telegraph.
    (Note – I’ve left http:// off the website addresses in this post, as the first couple of times I tried to post it, it got stuck awaiting moderation. Hopefully this’ll help.)
    Nominations for the awards continue until November 24th. If ye can spare a second of plunderin’ time, set a course for greatbritons.org and add your cannon to a broadside for free thinking and the FSM!
    May His Noodly Appendage be upon ye all.
    RAmen