I ran across your letter

Published June 22nd, 2005 by Bobby Henderson

Quite by chance, I ran across your letter to the Kansas School Board. I thought it was fantastic! With each passing day, one wonders if there is any logic left in this country, as the fundamentalists gain more and more power with government. Each and every Bible waver seems to believe they “know” what’s best for all of us. Of course, each has their own interpretation of what “God” says. And, we should “know” it is fact, since they use the very same source to substantiate their “facts.” Of course, any attempt to point out the many inconsistencies and flaws in their might book are countered by how we have “taken it out of context.” Yet, there is no explanation from them for the inconsistencies.

If they believe their theory with such resolve, one would think they would be willing to allow science to explore all avenues and perhaps prove their theory for them. I suppose they don’t want to waste time with that!

Your letter reminds me of a time, many years ago, when I was a student in a college anthropology class. We had a student, Jehovah’s Witness….who challenged everything taught. One day, sitting there holding a fossilized dinosaur bone, she argued that not such creature ever existed, but was merely a “trick” by the devil. Reason? Dinosaurs weren’t mentioned in the Bible. Yet, there she sat, dinosaur fossil in hand. The professor finally asked her why she was wasting her money and our time, occupying a seat in a university, since she had all the answers to the universe in her hand.

Again, thank you for a very refreshing point of view. It’s good to know there is still some who chose reason and logic over blind belief. Long Like The Spaghetti Monster!!!!!

Regards,
Stan

8 Responses to “I ran across your letter”

1. bbbrrr_the_Shivering_Pirate says:

Hey…I would like to bring up something my Econ teacher says. He is a great source for insight, and I think he has a point. He said “Is it really a lie if people believe it? One or two people, maybe so, but with more, I think that the boundries are infringed upon.” I brought up the idea that there are so many dogmatic religions (unlike ours) that state they they are true. Does that mean the my econ teacher is right? I thank the FSM for making him my teacher, and allowing me to share his insight.

RAmen

2. Aristotle says:

@bbbrrr_the_Shivering_Pirate – Do you mean to say the Christian Bible is true because millions of people believe in it? That’s ridiculous.
    I really like this quote of Anatole France: “If a million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing.”

3. Maxglobs says:

I don’t see religion as a lie, but rather as an untruth. For example, the billions of people who practice Christianity are almost definitely wrong, but they don’t really intend to be.

4. Aristotle says:

@Maxglobs – Religion is created by lies. Religion is the lie.

5. bbbrrr_the_Shivering_Pirate says:

No, you misinterpret me. I mean only to say that people saying that we aren’t true is only saying that about every religion, thus weakening their cause…. And I agree with Aristotle-thats what I was trying to say…

6. buy usa flags says:

Man I definetly adore your write-up and it is so commendable hence I am going to bookmark it. I Have to say the Wonderful research this article has is greatly remarkable !! Who does that additional research these days? Hats off to You . Just another tip to you is that you shouldintroduce any Translator Application for your Global Readers .

7. Marissa Cruz says:

I am here simply because I work with a spaghettiguy and we were discussing religion. I have been raised a jehovahs witness and do intended on becoming baptized one day. I too question EVERYTHING simply because I know that truth will be able to be found. So I figured y not find out if dinosaurs were mentioned in the bible, so I did my research and compared with science facts from the internet. In Genesis 1:20-21It mentions GREAT SEA CREATURES that were created. Job 40:15-24 Behemoth has been thoght of as a Brontosaurus and Job 41:1-34 a LEVIATHAN!! (The greatest sea creature)
    So not using the word DINOSAUAR directly. But reaserch does the job.
    To conclude dinosaurs did OBVIOUSLY EXIST. And for good reason (oil). and since they are PREHISTORIC there was no need to elaborate on them to much. We know all other animals exist because we see the proof of them, simply cause each is not mentioned does not mean they do not exist.

• Keith says:

“Sigh!” This hoary old chestnut!
      Firstly to Genesis 1:20-21. Apart from being sea monsters it says nothing else about them. They could be talking about the Rosmarine, Fastitochaelon, the Kraken, sea serpents or, as is interpreted in the KJV, whales or indeed any scary floaty thing. You can’t just insert “dinosaurs” (which, by the way where not marine animals) and say “there you are, that’s what they are talking about”.
      The descriptions of Behemoth and Leviathan are so vague that they could be describing anything.
      Leviathan is fierce, covered in impenetrable scales, is aquatic and breathes fire: hmm – gotta use a tough Pokemon with False Swipe an Ultra Ball to catch one of those.
      Behemoth eats grass, has a tail movement (not an appearance) like the swaying of a cedar, has a big thirst, big balls and a belly button. Sounds more like an elephant to me.
      Yes, dinosaurs DID exist. More and more fossils are turning up and palaeontologists are continually revising their ideas about them. That is what science is about. Oil mostly comes from the remains of vegetation and marine organisms, with the possibility of other animals thrown in.
      Current evidence says that no human existed at the time of the dinosaurs: go and visit a museum or talk to a palaeontologist, or read a reputable publication. Please do not go to “Answers in Genesis” or any other spurious website.